add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Young Outdoor Adventurers of Orlando Message Board › October 16/17

October 16/17

A former member
Post #: 5
So this will most likely be our last opportunity to do a watery adventure before it's too cold.
Therefor I need opinions! (please only chime in if you think you may be able to attend.)

Here are your options:

A Kayaking or canoeing day trip. (location unknown- we can vote on that if this is chosen) Most likely with some kind of swimming involved.

An overnight camping and tubing trip. (there will definitely be swimming)

You only need one day of availability
most likely more expensive if you don't have your own kayak/canoe
less of a drive
May have to get up early
no alcohol

Camping and tubing- (ginnie springs)
Less expensive (it's 20/person for campers plus $6/day for a single tube)
will need most of the weekend off
alcohol permitted
can tube or swim any time of the day
you can scuba there if you are certified
It's about a 2.5 hour drive (we can carpool, I can fit 6 others in my van but chipping in for gas would be a must)

Let me know your vote asap so I can schedule it! I'll check back on Sunday night and then schedule the event.

(whatever we don't do I'll schedule for after our little winter chill. also, there are kayaking trips that we can take in the winter.)
user 5465511
Orlando, FL
Post #: 8
I vote for a day trip. Rainbow Springs has a long run for tubing (2 & 4 hour drops) & kayaking/canoeing. Ginnie Springs is a nice place to camp, but I have Halloween plans that Sat night.
user 10004426
Lake Mary, FL
Post #: 1
I would also vote for a day trip and would lean more towards something active like kayaking or canoeing as opposed to tubing.
user 10272343
Orlando, FL
I'm all for Ginny Springs... I might even be able to convince Brent to bring his portable beer pong table along. Tubing at midnight = awesome :-)
user 5465511
Orlando, FL
Post #: 9
I know we aren't picking locations yet, but Ginnie Springs is good for both day trips and camping (if people wanted to do both). The 2 swimming areas are clear, but the main run on the Santa Fe River was a bit cloudy/oily (in June). Also, cell phone reception is poor/nonexistent there, so it would be good to have a clear meeting place/time.

If people were looking for a longer trip, Wakulla Springs is absolutely amazing and the FL caverns are nearby.

My preference is for a day trip with some tubing while our weather is warm, and then kayaking/canoeing when things cool down a bit.
Bradley M.
user 9445358
Orlando, FL
I love ginnie springs! I am down for that idea. I had a group of buddies do a camping trip there a few years back. It was amazing but it was cold the nights we went. I also like the florida caverns idea, I have always wanted to go up there and and see the spring and caves!
A former member
I love Ginnie Springs and would love to go with the group, but that weekend is UF Homecoming!
user 11686157
Orlando, FL
Ginnie Springs Good Site. I was planning to paddle this section of the river. I vote for the paddle (kayak or canoe). We could put in at the ramp of US 27 and take out on SR 47. Also, stop at some springs. This is +/- 8 mile paddle. Is required to plan to shuttle cars from the drop-off point to the pick-up point.

PS: The river temperature remains constant 78-deg to 74-des all year around because the temperature of spring water do not change.
A former member
Post #: 6
Very true Jose but I think maybe people won't want to go swimming and then get out to cold weather. Based on these responses plus some other votes I've received in person, and via email, the majority of votes has overwhelmingly been for Ginnie Springs. However Dan is right and it can completely be a day OR an overnight trip. The day-trippers can car-pool together and the overnighters can ride with me. (up to 6) I'll plan it soon. Thanks everyone! I hope you all come. :)
user 5465511
Orlando, FL
Post #: 10
Excellent! BTW, folks that camp might want to keep in mind that Ichetucknee Springs is about 5 miles away from Ginnie Springs. Since they only let 750 folks in daily at the north I.S. entrance, camping at Ginnie is a good way to get there by 8-9 am. 8-)

Kayelee, you nailed it. Most folks get cold after being in the water for 1-3 hours. FYI, central FL springs are 72 degrees year round, while Wakulla and others to the north are even cooler at 68. Think about how cold your offices/houses are, and then consider how little clothing you'll be wearing at the springs. 8-)