For the Love of the Movies…
As a child growing up, there were few things that made such an impact on my developing brain as going to the movies with friends. As an American, the movie-watching experience is as much a part of our modern culture as cars, football and apple pie (and not necessarily in that order).
Globally, there are few things like the movies that have the scale to touch the emotions of so many people and leave a lasting impression. They can promote trends (good and bad) and proliferate catch-phrases that are known world-wide. It is this shared, global experience & bonding that makes movie-watching so special & so loved by so many cultures.
Why Create yet another Movie Meetup Night?
If you're expats like us, even though we're independent-minded, we don't like to drink alone…or go to the movies. That's why we started this Movie Meetup :) On 2 Mondays a month we will schedule a Movie night to meet like-minded cinephiles for a cup of coffee or beer, followed by a great, mainstream movie selection. All movie choices will feature English as the spoken language at first. Plus, we will explore various theaters throughout the Zurich region to find the best one(s) for our movie-going pleasure.
FREE Movie Prizes?! You betcha!
To make things entertaining, we'll throw together a Movie Trivia Game for each Movie Monday Event. For the portion of the evening prior to the movie, we'll have movie trivia -- about the movie, the actors, the director, the genre, the original source material, etc. The person (up to 2 in the event of a tie) with the most correct answers will receive a FREE Ticket to the movie that night!
Why Movies on a Mondays?! It's a bloody Work Night…
We realize that your time is precious, and we all like our sleep. But sometimes, event scheduling is complicated; plus we like to spread things throughout the week to give everyone an opportunity to experience Züri eXpat Events. BUT most importantly, Mondays are DISCOUNT NIGHT at the theaters, so we can score relatively inexpensive movie tickets -- roughly 13 CHF vs. 18-20 CHF -- which is at least closer to what we'd pay for movies in our respective home countries ;)
About This Monday Movie Event
6:30pm – Meet Us for coffee & trivia at Starbucks!
Starbucks Stauffacher, Badenerstrasse 21, 8004 Zürich (Google Maps)
We will meet at theStarbucks Stauffacher location near the theater first, at 6:30pm. Look for fellow expats at the tables with our Logo prominently displayed. Grab a cup of coffee, introduce yourself...and relax a bit.
Grab a trivia sheet and take your best shot to win a FREE ticket to tonight's movie! The person with the most correct answers will receive a FREE Ticket to the movie that night!
Please: Honor System in effect! Do not use your Smartphones to look up the answers. You are welcome to bring your Tolkien books and dictionaries if you feel like it, or pair up with one other expat to pool your brain power ;)
We will walk on over to the theater around 7:50pm.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
(English; High Frame Rate + 3D)
"12 dwarves and Gandalf the Grey recruit plucky hobbit Bilbo Baggins as a burglar, to help them steal back the golden treasure hoarded by the evil dragon Smaug. On the way to the Lonely Mountain, home to Smaug and the former kingdom of the dwarves, there is much adventure to be had for our heroes: trolls want to eat them, goblins try to kill them and wargs hunt them down. Meanwhile, Bilbo wins a magic ring from Gollum...
This is the beginning of the unexpected journey. Peter Jackson takes audiences back to Middle Earth in the first of this three-part prequel to Lord of the Rings. Although it takes a while for things to get going, they acquire epic proportions once Gandalf and the dwarves fight their way through caves of goblins and Bilbo meets Gollum in the depth of the Misty Mountains. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey completely fulfills all expectations."
Cost: 18 Euro (this covers the ticket + the 3D glasses). Any difference in cost will be refunded to you that evening. IF you have your own 3D glasses, please mention it upon paying via Paypal + RSVP. We will refund you the appropriate amount at the event.
Theater Location: Metropol 1
Badenerstrasse 16, 8004 Zürich. Google Map
Movie Time: 20:15
– Metropol screen 1, English w/ German & French subtitles;
– in 3D, High-Frame Rate edition
Directions to the Theater:
From the Zurich HB Main Station, take any of the following:
– Tram 14 towards Triemli. Get off at the Stauffacher stop. Walk east 86 m back to the theater.
– Tram 3 towards Albisrieden. Get off at the Stauffacher stop. Walk east 86 m back to the theater.
– Bus 31 towards Schlieren, Zentrum. It drops you off in front of the theater OR get off at the Stauffacher stop & walk east 86 m back to the theater.
Misc Movie Info & Recommendations
1) Get the Carte Bleue Card from Swisscom
– for 30 CHF (20 CHF annually + 1-time 10 CHF for the card) you can view most movies at this discounted 13 CHF rate. These cards are available for purchase at Swisscom stores and most movie theaters.
– You can download the Carte Bleue App to your Smartphone and book multiple tickets in advance (up to 10 tickets per card), go paperless, etc.
– There are other discounts & movie perks available to card holders, such as "Ladies Night" and Men's Night".
See the link for details >> Carte Bleue
2) Buy your tickets in advance or RSVP with us!!
– movie theaters in Switzerland have assigned seating, so consider buying your tickets in advance to get the best seats.
– AFTER the first couple of Movie Mondays, based on feedback and consistent attendance, we will review the pre-buying of 10-20 tickets for our eXpat group. We don't want to be stiffed for a few hundred francs on movie tickets – which happened on 1 event last summer – so we are a little cautious about doing this again. Help us make this a great communal experience by RSVP'ing EARLY, so that we can pre-pay for group tickets!