Zürich English Speaking Group Message Board › About non-smoking meeting places

About non-smoking meeting places

A former member
Post #: 26
Someone asked why I don't choose a non-smoking venure for our meet-ups, here is my response:

Thanks for your input. I do not smoke either and, if possible, I prefer to find places that are smoke-free. However, after living here for more than four years, I have come to discover that there really are only two places in Zürich that are truly 'smoke-free', that would be home and Starbuck's. I prefer not to have social networking events at Starbuck's, unless it is an afternoon meetup.

I took at look at a Smoke-free site (www.eat-smokefree.ch), and I did a detailed search which only brought up 6 suggestions for fully smoke-free bars. Café Hard was one of them but it is only open until 19:00. PurPur only from 11:00-14:00. And the Piadina Bar is a sandwich bar in the Niederdorf and they expect you to eat and leave, it is not really a great place to gather a group. Besides, people do smoke there. The others were restaurants.

Overall, it is a tall order to find smoke-free environments here. Even places that have a smoke-free section will bring an ashtray to those tables if someone lights up at one. Some smokers here seem to think non-smoking sections are for smokers who do not want to breath smoke from other smokers or are for 'after-dinner' smokers. At others, you will have to walk through the smoking section to reach the non-smoking section.

I do try to select bars which attract expats, in the hope that this will mean that there will be fewer smokers, but that is no guarantee. If you have personal experience with a place and want to make a suggestion, I am all ears. In the warmer months, we can also try places with outdoor seating.

However, in the mean time, I do hope you will join us sometime, despite the smoke.

Bryon Paul McCartney