In order to give the muscles some rest from the (off) piste skiing, I suggest to do a hiking weekend in Ticino in the Valle Maggia.
The idea would be to take the 7.09 am train departing Zurich HB (I still need to make reservation) arriving 9.57 am in Locarno and then take the 10.02 am bus to Maggia (arrival 10.29 am). From here we would start hiking for 4 hours towards Ponte Brolla (details see below). The hike will be on an altitude of 300 to 500 meters above sea level where one can enjoy a full view of the lower valley, the wide landscape, the beautiful villages and the tall mountains.
Details of the hike :
00:00: Von der Bushaltestelle Maggia dem Wanderweg talwärts folgen.
00:05: Nach der Hängebrücke Richtung Aurigeno wandern.
00:10: Im Dorf Moghegno weiterhin Richtung Aurigeno wandern.
00:30: In Aurigeno dem Wanderweg Richtung Tegna wandern.
01:30: Im Aufstieg bei einer Gabelung dem Wanderweg nach rechts hinauf folgen.
01:45: Auf der Forcola di Dunzio Richtung Tegna wandern.
02:10: In Dunzio weiterhin Richtung Tegna wandern.
02:25: Bei Djula Richtung Tegna wandern.
02:40: Beim Wegweiser Streccia dem Wanderweg Richtung Verscio folgen.
03:00: Beim Erreichen einer Bogenbrücke Richtung Tegna wandern.
03:40: In Tegna bis zur Strasse gehen. Dann nach links abbiegen und der Strasse entlang gehen.
04:00: Ponte Brolla. Von hier fahren Busse oder Züge nach Locarno.
In Ponte Brolla (where the European Cliff Diving championships took place) there are some great views on the gorge created by the erosion. From Ponte Brolla we will take the bus/train back to Locarno (15 min ride) and then we walk towards our hostel (10 minutes from the station).
After dinner we can go downtown and enjoy the Ticinese atmosphere at night.
For Sunday I suggest an easy stroll in the city and around the Lake for a couple of hours and then in late afternoon we would take train back to Zurich.
The hostel gave me following prices
* 2 bed room (bunk bed) with shower and WC on floor, but sink in the room: 63 francs (69 francs)
* twin beds with shower and WC on floor, but sink in the room: 80 francs (86 francs)
* 4 bed room (bunk bed) with shower and WC on floor, but sink in the room: 58 francs (64 francs)
The prices are per person/night and include breakfast and dinner (salat buffet, main plate and dessert). The prices between brackets are for those who are not a member of youth hostel.
Please note that the hostel does not allow to make reservations, hence I could not take an option for our group. I agreed that I will confirm final numbers next week wednesday to them. Therefore please transfer money to my bank account by tuesday evening the latest and given that it takes 1 or two days to have the transfer executed, please make the transfer before Monday next week.
* The organizer is not responsible for any bodily injury or other accidents that might happen during the hike. By signing up on this activity, the participants agree that the organizer will not be held responsible in any way. Although the hike is not complicated, it is each individual responsibility to ensure that they can do the hike and check out the trail.
* There is a no refund policy – anyone else can take your spot. This policy has been introduced to avoid people making changes and cancellations for reasons that can not be verified by the organizer.
* To bring along : hiking boots, rain gear, water, snack, lunch ( I suggest we take lunch on the trails)
* Since we start hiking immediately upon arrival, please travel light.