This is a good first mountain to walk up for new hikers and for hikers wanting to test what they can do. Rigi has a train from Arth-Goldau that follows the hiking path beginning at Fruttli. If someone gets tired or wants to stop then just walk up or down to the nearest stop. The Rigibahn stops are the following with trains every hour:
• Goldau A4 : 510m
• Kräbel : 759m
• Fruttli : 1152m
• Klösterli : 1302m
• Wölfertschen-First : between...
• Staffel : 1603m
• Rigi Kulm : 1797m
The change in elevation is roughly 1300m. This is expected to take 4-5 hours with medium conditions and medium difficulty. We take the train down.
With such a change in elevation and different levels of fitness I am not going to try to keep the group together too much. My thought is that people will break into groups on their own that hike at the speed they are comfortable with. I am going to hike at an average hiking speed.
Here is the agenda:
• Be at Arth-Goldau next to the RigiBahn walkway by 08:55.
o 08:00, meet under the Blue Angel. (I will join later at Thalwil because I live in Au ZH).
o 08:09, DEPART Zurich HB platform 5.
o 08:46, EXIT train at Arth-Goldau.
• Hike: Follow 63 from Goldau to Rigi Staffel, then the trail to Rigi Kulm. The web site below details this route to Rigi Staffel. We go still higher to Rigi Kulm. (Route 63 continues down the other side of the mountain at Rigi Staffel.)
• We will eat lunch along the way so bring your lunch.
• Hopefully reach Rigi Kulm between 13:00 and 14:00.
• Take the RigiBahn train down to Arth Goldau and a train back to Zurich. Or, take the RigiBahn train down to Vitznau, a boat to Luzern, and a train back to Zurich. I'll take the train down at 15:00 most likely. Trains leave every hour on the hour until 19:00.
Things to know about this hike:
• I am not a professional guide.
• I am getting most of my information about this hike from the webpage below.
• You should take into consideration your own ability to hike this mountain, if you feel you can't make it, stop and take the train.
• Bring lunch, rain jacket, hiking boots, water, and money for the train down/ a drink at the top.
• I will use the app "Real Time GPS Tracker" on this hike. You can use it to see where I am on the app's map. My ID is BurrS. You will need to add me as a friend and I you.