Riederalp Mitte - Eggishorn
Keep cool Saturday by standing next to a big block of ice. I have been told it's best to visit the glaciers on a sunny day because their colors come out better. We should have plenty of sun on Saturday which makes it a great day for this one. This will be a proper mountain hike with big ups and downs but if you can take this it will be an incredible day.
Some statistics from the Webpage Switzerland Mobility:
Length:16 km. Hiking time: 5h 50m. (This seems short to me, it might take longer.)
Requirements: medium (mountain hiking trail which really requires sturdy hiking boots), Conditions:difficult.
Height difference: 1200m up, 519m down. (Rigi is 1300m for context)
- Meet at Riederalp Mitte at 09:50
The train leaves at 7:02, so meet at 6:55 and go straight to track 16. I will have to drive so I will meet you at Mörel ARBAG at 09:40.
- Take the lift to Riederalp Hohfluh to pass the Wald and get to the glaciers.
- Follow the route I have mapped. This is largely route 39, stage 1 and 2 but hopefully taking the best from these two stages.
- Take the lift down from Eggishorn and return to Zurich.
Things to bring:
• Water, 1.5l
• An understanding of hiking etiquette: http://hiking.meetup.com/161/pages/Etiquette_on_the_Trail/
Things to know about this hike:
• I am not a professional guide. I sometimes make mistakes.
• I am getting most of my information about this hike from the webpage below and the Switzerland Mobility maps.
• You should take into consideration your own ability to hike this distance at an average hiking pace, a good fast walk.
• We'll keep this a people hike, no dogs please. There are a number of great dog groups in Zurich that hike, please look into those.
• If you can't make it but have signed up or are in the wait list, please update your status as early as possible. Those in the wait list will be thankful.