I'll be skiing at Engelberg on New Year's Day and invite all to come. Engelberg has lots of snow higher up now and shouldn't be that crowded because of the forecast for some clouds. It's a quick 2 hours from Zurich with a transfer in Luzern and there is a SBB discount for the rail and day pass.
We are early in the season so we'll have the different levels of skiing ability and sobriety, given the day. It's easiest to meet several times throughout the day for food and drinks at scheduled times. Also use the message board to find people of similar abilities (skiing with a group of more than 5-6 is impossible). I'll use the Android app Real Time GPS Tracker for people to find me. (You need the app, my ID is BurrS.)
• Drive or take the train. Rent equipment as needed.
• "Jochpass" by the lifts up - 09:45. We'll split into smaller groups of 5-6. (I'll meet up with everyone here. I have blue bottoms and a grey jacket.)
• "Alpstubli" restaurant for warm drinks - 10:30
• "Stand" 2428m for lunch - 12:45
• "Jochpass" 2207m restaurant for warm drinks - 14:45
• 15:30, head down. If the blue run is open you can ski down otherwise we have to take the lift down. Catch the 16:31 back or drive home.
Map of ski area. Take the lifts to the right, to the Trubsee. Blue is easy, red not so easy, yellow really hard.
Trains there and back:
From the train station at Engelberg you can walk 5 minutes to the lifts or take the bus. The map has a ski school at Sammelplatz where the lifts up are. You can rent boots and skis near here and get your lift pass.