Last year I planned this trip but unfortunately could not go myself due to a broken foot injury. The feedback from those who went was very good and the views were spectacular -hence I will organize this weekend hike again.
The idea is to go for a hiking weekend in Wallis in de Val- Anniviers (which mean in latin at the snow line) and go to two of the most visited huts in the Alps. Given that we are more advanced in the hiking season, the distance and height difference has gone up as well. None of the hikes is technically difficult (red/white/red) however hiking in higher altitudes and longer distances makes that these hikes are not for everyone – if you do regularly sports and have a good condition than this hike should not be a problem.
Friday night, we would take the 16.32 train arriving bern 17.28, departing bern 17.34 arriving visp 18.32 departing visp 18.36 arriving sierre 18.54. We will then take the bus in sierre at 19.10 arriving in zinal at 20.10. We will have dinner at 20.30.
Saturday morning the idea would be to hike up to the Cabane d-Arpittetaz (2800 meters) where you have spectacular views on the Weisshorn (4505 meters), Zinalrothorn (4221 meters) and glaciars (glacier de Moming). The hike from Zinal (1700 meters) towards the hut is 1150 meters up and takes about 4,5 to 5 hours up hence we would like to start early to give us plenty of time to make it to the hut and give us time to enjoy the scenery before heading back to Zinal (about 2,5 hours down). In the late afternoon/evening we will enjoy the beauty of the valley and can taste some local wines.
On Sunday I propose to take the cable car towards Sorebois (2441 meters). We will then walk towards Corne de Sorebois (2895m) and after 2 hours we will arrive at the barrage de Moiry (see above) around 2400m. From the dam we will start a 480 meter ascent to the Cabane de Moiry which is situated at 2886 meters and which allows great views on Grand Cornier (3964m), Dent Blanche (4356m) and Dent des Rosses (3613m). Total hiking time is about 4,5 to 6 hours depending on speed, number of stops, number of pictures taken etc.
Alternatively this hike can be shortened by taking the bus from Zinal towards Grimentz and from there to the dam of Moiry. The idea would be to take a bus and train back to Zurich late Sunday afternoon from the Barrage de Moiry.
Depart friday evening Zurich HB - arrival Zinal
Depart sunday afternoon Barrage de Moiry towards Zurich
For Saturday evening I have taken an option for 25 people in a chalet. The chalet has 1 room with 4 people, 2 rooms with singles and 9 rooms with 2 beds. The price for the accommodation, breakfast, dinner and taxes is 90 francs/night so for two nights is 180 francs. I need to confirm this booking by May 17 so for those who are interested, please transfer the money to my bank account by then. If there is no or little interest I will cancel the activity.
My bank account details are:
* The organizer is not responsible for any bodily injury or other accidents that might happen during the hike. By signing up on this activity, the participants agree that the organizer will not be held responsible in any way. Although the hike is not complicated, it is each individual responsibility to ensure that they can do the hike and check out the trail.
* There is a no refund policy – anyone else can take your spot. This policy has been introduced to avoid people making changes and cancellations for reasons that can not be verified by the organizer.
* To avoid a huge number of last minute changes and to ensure that we do not drive mad the hotel by making many many changes, a flat fee of 15 francs will be charged if a change happens in the last three weeks before the hike.
* Bookings/reservations are made on the first date of payment. Independently whether you clicked yes or no, the date of payment will be the criteria to confirm your attendance.
* I would do everything to accommodate your booking, i.e. keep males/females separate and put you in the 2 bed room, 4 bed room etc. requested however as you can imagine bookings are accepted all the time by the hotel and although i transmit to the hotel regularly the rooms and number of people attending, it might be that your favorite room is no longer available.
* To bring along: suncream, sunglasses, good mood, laughter, hiking boots, rain gear, water, snack, lunch ( I suggest we take lunch on the trails), smile, positive attitude, towel
* Please travel light.