Announcing a new Meetup for Zurich Hike & Outdoor!
What: Grindelwald - Hike and Sledge
When: Saturday, March 6,[masked]:45 AM
in front of Ticket counter, underneath Niki de Saint Phalle's angel hanging from the ceiling
Let's go to Grindelwald this Saturday for a moderate hike in snow followed by a thrilling journey down the longest sled run in the world!
The exact plan is as follows:
- 6:45 AM: Meet up at Zurich HB, under the big weird angel.
- 7:00 AM: Catch train Zurich - Grindelwald, 2 changes; reach Grindelwald at 9:39 AM.
- 9:39 AM - 11:15 AM: Take the gondola up to First, rent sleds, have lunch!
- 11:15 AM: Start hiking from First (2200 m) to Faulhorn peak (2681 m). The path, while in snow, is well-maintained. Approximate hike time is 2 hours 30 mins.
- 2 pm: Sledding! We will sled down from Faulhorn to Grindelwald (or to Weidli, if the last bit to Grindelwald is closed, and take the bus from there). The run is 15 km long, represents an elevation loss of 1700 m, and is the longest sled run in the world. Duration: 1 hr to 1 hr 30 mins, depending on speed.
Once down in Grindelwald, we will stop for some drinks/snacks perhaps and then head back to Zurich. We should be back in Zurich by 8 pm/8:30 pm.
Things to bring:
- definitely winter clothes, it will be COLD up at 2700 metres.
- gloves, hats, sunglasses, etc.
- Water-resistant shoes and pants.
- Water and snack (we will stop for a quick lunch at the restaurant at First; you are of course free to bring your own lunch if you want).
- We are not arranging for group tickets, so everyone should buy their own tickets at the station in the morning. The best option would probably be to buy the 9 o clock day pass (54 Fr if you have a halbtax). This will cover all the trains except for the gondola up to First (for which the day pass gives a discount). Because everyone will have their own ticket, this will offer us more flexibility in case people want to come back at different times or someone gets separated. However we will try to stay together as much as possible.
- Sled rental will cost 9 Fr or 15 Fr, depending on quality. If you have your own sled, bring it along (I will bring mine).
- Please note down my cell-phone number:[masked]
- In case the weather forecast is bad, I might cancel this meetup at the last minute. Expect an update later this week.
: The sled run is long, fast, and while no previous sledding experience is required, there is always a risk of injury when taking part in such activities. If you come, you should understand the risks and agree not to hold the organizers responsible for any accidents that might occur.
Learn more here:http://www.meetup.com/Zurich-Hike-Outdoor/calendar/12748015/