addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Zurich Hike & Outdoor Message Board Zurich Hike & Outdoor Discussion Forum › Via Ferrata Hiking Question

Via Ferrata Hiking Question

A former member
Post #: 1
I've read about Via Ferrata hiking in Switzerland and Italy, and it seems really interesting; definitely a bit more extreme than regular hiking, but not ultra-extreme. Has anyone done this (or currently do this)? I'd love to meet others who do this and also learn what equipment is needed, how to use the equipment, and where the best places are. Cheers!
Stijn V.
user 87004062
Zürich, CH
Via ferrata is really cool, if you like something more adventurous than hiking and if you've got a head for heights, that is. I've done a couple in Spain, and having recently moved to Zürich I'm really keen on doing via ferratas in Switzerland and possible Austria/Italy this summer. I actually planned to do one in Braunwald last weekend, but the weather wasn't good enough...
Anyway, get in touch if you're interested in joining me on a via ferrata this summer (an easier one to start with of course). If you want to read more, http://klettersteig.d...­ is the best website on the internet, and the Altstadt Pestalozzi library has got a number of via ferrata guidebooks.
Martin
user 4794953
Zürich, CH
Post #: 7
Everything that is something more than just going on the path is fun ^.^ Personally, I find via ferratas more dangerous than regular climbing. I don’t want to discourage you, but take a note that in “regular” climbing you always fall double distance to the closest cam/nut/fixed point plus the flexibility of your rope. In via ferrata you fall downto the next fixed point (normally up to 5 m) plus the length of your longe (another 5 m), so in many cases there’s a simple rule: Just don’t fall ;)
Up to your judgment, but definitely more dangerous than hiking :-) Make sure that for the first one, you really choose an easy one!
Stijn V.
user 87004062
Zürich, CH
Post #: 2
I don't like to use the word dangerous as the risks depends so much on the attitude, equipment and the competence of the participants. But it's certainly true that a fall on a via ferrata is more serious that a fall when climbing while being belayed. Impact forces can be so high manufacturers still struggle to make fail-proof via ferrata sets; recalls are quite common unfortunately..
But via ferrata doesn't need to be more dangerous, as long as you have to correct attitude. On a sport climb you can push your boundaries and allow a fall once in a while. On a via ferrata you simply must never fall, and if you are struggling you should really be doing an easier one.
A former member
i just did the via ferrata from Murren to Gimmelwald. definitely did not feel very safe while i was doing it (was gripping the iron rope in fear 75% of the time) because as mentioned, when you fall, you fall until the next fixed point which can be some distance away. the via ferrata i did also included crossing 2 nepalese bridges and an airy bridge, all of which were hair-raising in their own right.

as a beginner, i completed this 2.2km trail with another friend in 2.5hours. equipment was rented from the intersport at murren, returned at gimmelwald at the hostel next to the end point. the equipment is really simple - just a helmet, a harness (as used by rock climbers) and a rope contraption with 2 carabiners so you can alternate between them when you cross the fixed points.