Ann Arbor Adventure Club Message Board › Any other hammock camping enthusiasts?

Any other hammock camping enthusiasts?

David G.
user 10120954
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 18
It came to my attention at the Isle Royale planning event that there are other hammock camping enthusiasts within this group! But just how many others are there out there? Post up if you're a fan of hanging instead of laying on the ground and maybe we'll setup an overnighter one day, or at the very least a scheduled day where we can be lazy and lay around in a group of trees. Any excuse to relax, I'll take it ;-)

I have an ENO Setup which is not ideal for hardcore backpacking but I'll camp a night or two when I'm a few feet from my car :-) I'll most likely get a Hennessy setup next with some more dependable suspension than the slap straps. For now, it works for me :-)
Jay B.
jaybonefx
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 3
I am still testing the waters. So far I've brought mine along on backpacking trips and used it on clear nights.
David G.
user 10120954
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 19
I've gone over a 3 day weekend, but again it's been at civilizations doorstep. My current tarp is not meant for blocking wind, I accidentally bought the one they use for hotter, dryer climates which has a much more visibility friendly style of cut. I can certainly protect myself from rain with it but it takes a close proximity to the ridge line which is fine in some cases but there are better options.

My main issue is knot tying, which is why I have the slap straps. I failed knotting in scouts, they gave me the big boy velcro kit :-p but once I take some time to learn what I need to know to have a more versatile setup, I'll probably replace my tent all together.
Jay B.
jaybonefx
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 4
I learned to tie mine watching an old hennessy video. Its probablly easier than you think. Saw the straps you are talking about and they make it easier (save 5min tops) but my guess is they are heavier than ropes I use.
David G.
user 10120954
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 20
The weight isn't so much the issue, it's that they are made of nylon, they stretch and sag pretty heavily. This can be rectified by hanging at home as much as you can. The problem is that they will always sag a little bit even when broken in for the initial hang and if your trees are pushing 20 feet apart, that can still be somewhat dramatic. I hope to get some amsteel ropes and woopie slings but it starts to add time onto setup and for my current uses, I like to just get it done as fast as I can. That mentality would have to change if I were doing this for backpacking.

That all being said, I've had great luck with it camping, I went through a pretty horrendous 40 degree pouring rain night preceded by a night with strong winds, I stayed dry and comfortable. If I would have had the 40 degree temps AND the wind at the same time, and I'm not so sure it would have work (again, with my current setup). I can easily cut the weight to half though with another brand, but the ENO is SO easy.
David G.
user 10120954
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 21
This is very similar to my current setup, when I ordered I got the "Dry Fly" which indicated to me in the name that.. you know.. it kept you dry. Unfortunately it's a "Dry weather" fly as it's more of a versatile sun shade that you can re-arrange into a variety of positions, and if it happened to rain it can block that too. I'm definitely going to get a rectangular longer setup that would block the wind with my next rainfly purchase.

Jim G.
user 24972922
Brighton, MI
Post #: 1
Howdy, I'm new to this group and new to Meetup. I tarp camped for about 15 years and I've been hammock camping for over a year now in my Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker Asym. I love the light weight, ease of set up, and comfort. This winter I shipped it off to add a side zip and eliminate the bottom entry. I even sleep in it when I am at home and have over 100 days sleeping outdoors so far this year! It's time to start experimenting with under-quilts.

Jim G.
user 24972922
Brighton, MI
Post #: 2
I've been using the Trucker's Hitch, which has been reliable. I've decided to add cam straps, however. The cord that comes stock on my hammock is too stretchy. I've also got some nicks in the cord that concern me.

My main issue is knot tying, which is why I have the slap straps. I failed knotting in scouts, they gave me the big boy velcro kit :-p but once I take some time to learn what I need to know to have a more versatile setup, I'll probably replace my tent all together.

Jim G.
user 24972922
Brighton, MI
Post #: 6
Here's my tarp camp. The cool thing about tarps is that they can be configured in many ways. I configured my tarp like this when it was windy. Henry Lake, Central U.P. May 2010

Here's my Hennessy Hammocks Ultralite Backpacker Asym with the same tarp strung overhead. I was expecting heavy rain and wind this trip. Bois Blanc Island, July 2011

Here's the Hennessy Hammocks Ultralite Backpacker Asym with the stock rainfly. Algonquin Provincial Park, July 2010

If you go with a Hennessy, I would highly recommend the side zip model. I bought the bottom entry model, but found it very awkward to get in to. I had mine retrofitted with a side zip last winter.
Jim G.
user 24972922
Brighton, MI
Post #: 7
FYI you can win an ENO hammock here: http://www.outdoorgea...­