addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Ann Arbor Adventure Club Message Board › Any other hammock camping enthusiasts?

Any other hammock camping enthusiasts?

Jim G.
user 24972922
Brighton, MI
Post #: 8
Wow, the ridgeline on my hammock snapped last night. This keeps the bug net peaked and also helps support the rainfly. I still slept in it since the hammock itself was not affected. The break occurred within an inch of where the line enters the hammock, so there is not enough to tie off to. Now we'll see about Hennessy's customer service.
David G.
user 10120954
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 25
Sorry Jim! I thought I had this thread set to email me when people posted in it, I would have responded to your posts!

I've been using a Kelty Noah's tarp recently, lovin' it. Hope that ridgeline thing works out!

I've been talking to others off site about getting people together for a sort of "Guerrilla Hammocking" experience where we hang in public areas to show off to people just how easy, comfortable and accessible hammocking can be. Nothing crazy where we would be kicked out, but someplace like the arboretum or somewhere in the grassy areas by the Diag, make it a social experience where we can talk and shoot the wind, move as a group around town to different shops between hanging sessions. You could almost think of it as a daytime urban backpacking trip! I'd do some research ahead of time and find some paths and tree clusters that would put us by nice food venues, interesting shops and so forth. Could be awesome :-p
Jim G.
user 24972922
Brighton, MI
Post #: 9
Guerrilla Hammocking sounds interesting, David. Keep me posted.

Upon further inspection, I was able to retie the ridgeline. In emails to Hennessy I was told that ridgelines break on occasion and they attribute it to over-tensioning the hammock. They offered to fix it for $10 plus shipping since my hammock is beyond the one year warranty period. I have found that I like my hammock well tensioned. So I'm experimenting with adding a short length of shock cord to the ridgeline.

I also ordered Hennessy's underquilt insulation system yesterday. Hopefully it will extend my season well into winter!
Carol
carush
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 10
I am planning to get a hammock setup for the spring. If you use or are getting into a hammock setup you should talk to Ron (scuba Ron). He has an ultralight DIY setup. He uses a huge sheet of Tyvek (construction and envelope-type Tyvek) as a fly. It hangs beyond the length of the hammock and pretty far down below the bottom of the hammock. I have read on some ultralight backpacking sites that Tyvek is the lightest and most moisture-resistant material there is. Not so pretty though ;)
Jim G.
user 24972922
Brighton, MI
Post #: 12
Good info, Carol. Thanks. I'm wondering about noise. Isn't Tyvek kind of crunchy? By the way, my hammock and fly are both constructed of sil-ny and have a combined weight of right around 1 pound.
A former member
Post #: 10
I've been looking into this for a while, and I missed this thread. Jim, I'm TOTALLY going to bug you about this when I see you again! tongue

There are so many different hammocks out there that I have no idea where to even begin with my own set-up, but I like to make my own stuff whenever possible. I've wondered about using Tyvek too, because I see that a lot of people use it for footprints and tarps and am afraid the noise would drive me crazy.

WONDERFUL pictures, Jim!

My main issue is knot tying, which is why I have the slap straps. I failed knotting in scouts, they gave me the big boy velcro kit :-p but once I take some time to learn what I need to know to have a more versatile setup, I'll probably replace my tent all together.

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing next to you. I promise! ROFL

/Scout leader
//Can tie knots :P
Jim G.
user 24972922
Brighton, MI
Post #: 14
Cool, Vicki! When ever you want to stop by and check out my set up, you're welcome. I will keep my hammock strung well into Autumn and hopefully Winter!
David G.
user 10120954
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 26
Ok folks, got something big in the works.. stay tuned! Keep your late April weekends clear!
David G.
user 10120954
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 27
If you haven't seen yet, here's the event!

http://www.meetup.com...­