addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Ann Arbor Adventure Club Message Board › Volleyball - instructional videos and tips

Volleyball - instructional videos and tips

Dylan C.
user 13815564
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 25

Volleyball basics - Wikipedia
How to Play Volleyball : How to Bump a Volleyball
How to Play Volleyball : How to Fix Your Bump Shot in Volleyball
How to Play Volleyball : How to Set a Volleyball
How to Play Volleyball : How to Serve a Volleyball
How to Play Volleyball : How to Block a Volleyball
How to Play Volleyball : How to Dig a Spike in Volleyball

I've only been playing for a couple years (thanks to this club). Here are some tips and things I've picked up (or want to learn):

Serving
There are several ways to serve a volleyball. Find one that you can do consistently and do it the same way every time.

Receiving the serve
Never use your fingers to receive a hard serve. They're not strong enough and your fingers will be bent back. Use the palms of your hands if it's high, or bump with your arms if it's low. Try to get it toward the setter. It's best not to hit it right back over the net because this doesn't allow your teammates to participate as much.

Setting
If you are in the center front position, you should always try to get the second team hit. Yell HELP if you can't get to it. Use a setting motion if it's directly overhead, or bump if that's easier. Try to direct it to one of the hitters on either side. Don't send it to the same person all the time.

Hitting over the net
Do whatever works best.

Hitting when the ball is too close to the net
Someone told me this recently and it often works. If you're not good at jumping, raise your fist straight up and punch the ball from underneath. Don't try to reach with your fingers, they will probably be bent back and not send the ball up.

Digging
Don't use your fingers. They're not strong enough and you won't get the ball high enough. Also if you use fingers, there is more danger of the ball stopping in your hands. If that happens, it's a CATCH.

Digging out of the net
Squat down and try to bump it, or turn sideways and try to bump it. Don't try to get it over the net unless it's the third team hit.

If you mess up
It's a very forgiving group, so don't worry.

I'm going to edit this and add more tips and videos as I find them. Please tell us your best tips.