addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Ann Arbor Adventure Club Message Board › Meeting Summary and Update

Meeting Summary and Update

A former member
Hello All,
Thanks for coming last night. Here is a summary of what we discussed, with some updated info as well.
Please add anything that I have forgotten.
Attendance:
Myself, Dylan, Yuanli, Alekya, Matthew, Magda are planning on going.
Alekya's husband may or may not attend. Jessie is a 'maybe'. Michael K did say he will attend via e-mail.
Money:
Camping is about $15.00 each person.That's all. It may be a little more...like $17.00, at South Cumberland. I will know on Monday.
I estimate about $120.00 for transportation. So be prepared to give your driver around $25.00 toward fuel. Bring money for restaurants and general shopping. Bring food.
Carpooling:
The carpool meeting point is at my apartment complex. Roundtree Apartments in Ypsilanti. My address is 2931 Roundtree Blvd, Apartment A1, Ypsi, MI 48197. There is plenty of safe parking, and the 23 south freeway is very close by.
My cell phone: 313-498-1362.
Yuan has been nice enough to volunteer to drive. Magda will go with him, and (I believe) Alekya as well. He can fit a total of 5 people. Dylan also offered to drive.
Food:
There are many foods that can be eaten without refrigeration. Low moisture foods are good: apples, carrots, pre-cooked potatoes, bread,  cured meats are all good camping foods. Any cheese is fine, but it will not look as perfect as normal. Chips, and snacks are fine too.
Any food in aseptic containers work well too. Like pre-packaged Indian meals, juice boxes, tins of tuna or soups work well.
We will have stoves with us. Bring your spoons and dishes, cups.
Gear:
You need - a tent, a sleeping bag, and sleeping pad (VERY IMPORTANT), and appropriate clothes. Check the weather for the area so you know what to pack.
Itinerary:
Option 1
At this time the Smoky Mountain National Park is now closed. It is possible is it will open in time for our trip. If so, we will follow the original itinerary of hiking in the Deep Creek waterfall area and seeing Clingman's Dome, while camping at Smokemont.
Option 2
If the park is not open, we will have an alternate itinerary: South Cumberland State Forest. The forest is located at the foot of the Smoky Mountain range, to the northwest.
We will visit the cave(s) at Buggy Top, hike the Fiery Gizzard area (with waterfalls and swimming holes), take in the high views at Stone Door and check out the waterfalls and vistas in that area. While staying in the Foster Falls area campground.
Before assuming that the alternative is not as good as the Smoky Mountains, I would encourage people to look it up and view the photos. I will notify everyone on October 9th which place we are going to.
UPDATE:
I got a pile of maps and info in the mail regarding Cumberland. Foster Falls campground has a bathhouse, and water, so I will make a reservation there.
I got two giant-size trail maps and specific info about the length and difficulty level of our chosen trails. I will post them, when/if needed.
They sent information about local restaurants as well. It is possible to wade in the waterfalls, then pig out and Shan's Chinese Buffet.

Brooke