Dragon Boating is a supremely awesome team sport... and Adventure Wellington will be entering a competitive team for a second year running!!
If you're keen to be considered for the team, come along to the Dragon Boat open day and give it a go!
Dragon Boating involves 20 paddlers in one boat, a sweep who stands at the back to steer the boat and a drummer who sits on the front. The actual races are 320 metres in length in Wellington Harbour.
The "iconic" Wellington Dragon Boat Festival is held in March and is now in it's 28th year. This is one of the biggest Festivals in the country and renowned world wide as a great festival venue.
1) You need to be able to swim 50m - if the boat tips you could be in the water a while.
2) Make sure you turn up on time - we need to get gear ready, and have a tight time slot so will leave without you if you're late!!!
3) This is not a team selection activity - just a chance for returning team members and people interesting in trying it.
What to bring
• Expect to get wet - so clothing that stays warm, e.g. polyprops
• Board shorts (or similar) - you're not allowed to wear leggings or trousers below the knee for safety reasons
• Dry change of clothes
Selection for the Dragon Boat team
We do have a few places available on the team, and more information will be posted in the next couple of weeks. To be considered for the team, you need to
• Be able to swim in the sea for at least 50m unaided (these boats are prone to tipping over so you need to be prepared to get wet, and swim!)
• Attend paddle training sessions along the waterfront - Wednesday nights 6-7pm, Jan - March
• Commitment to other fitness training (in addition to the paddle training sessions). AW currently offers a range of fitness sessions each week.
• Participate in the Round the Fountain - Harbour Fun Day race - Saturday, 22 February
• Participate in Dragon Boat Festival race day!!!! - Saturday, 8 March
Selection will be made based on ability to meet training commitments, availability for both races, physical ability, a good attitude and proven team spirit.
This is a team event and depending on the conditions of the day could be quite challenging.
Whilst every possible assistance will be offered, Adventure Wellington Trust, the Trustees, Event Organisers/hosts and members cannot be held responsible for any accident, injuries or losses sustained leading up to, during, or after an event.
NO SHOW POLICY
If you no show or cancel after 7pm the night before this event you will have a 'no show' recorded against your name. No shows can lead to you having to leave the group. Please read our Group Rules here http://www.adventurewellington.co.nz/pages/Group_Rules/