align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Agile RTP (ARTp) Message Board › 2 Day Agile PM course in February 2010 - Worth $595?

2 Day Agile PM course in February 2010 - Worth $595?

A former member
Post #: 1
Happy Holidays! RDU Agile group is offering a 2-day Agile project management course called The Agile PMP® : Scrum, PMBOK ® Guide, and your career, on Friday, February 12, 2010 8:30 AM - Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:30 PM (EST). The instructor is Karlheinz Muenchow, PMP, CSM, CSPO, CSP, Dipl.-Ing.(FH).

My question is: worth $595 to attend a 2 day course?

A little background -- I have been trying to drum-up interest on Agile/SCRUM software development in NC Department of Justice, IT Division (ITD). NCDOJ is used to the traditional waterfall methodology, but ITD simply does not have enough people to support the hundreds of software applications and systems currently in production. I am a newbie in Agile/SCRUM, so all I can leverage is my knowledge in my readings and experiences per attending the Agile RTP meetings. I have been looking for classes or online courses to attend in order to jump-start my personal knowledgebase so that I can better promote Agile/SCRUM in ITD. I will be paying for any classes or courses myself since NCDOJ has no training budget due to recent state government budget cuts, hence the question...

Thanks in advanced.
A former member
Post #: 1
I just registered (w/own monies), instructor comes w/recommendations, price is about half what you'd pay for an actual CSM course (which you will also need at some point I'd think).
I can relate to your pain, being a Program Manager within the IT group at the NC Dept Of Reveune, maybe we can collaborate, or at least commiserate!
Recommended per-read is "Agile Project Management - 2nd Edition" by Jim Highsmith.
Cheers...Paul
A former member
Post #: 2
I attended this course last weekend, and it was definitely worth the price. I acquired a better understanding of Agile and SCRUM, making my past readings on this subject more relevant.

The company where the instructor is based is XoJom. There are videos and presentations available on their web site, particularly on Agile Enterprise Product Development, which you may find interesting.