Re: [questioningrel-83] Thoughts on "Recent thoughts from Doug"

From: Anna
Sent on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:39 PM
Ignore the previous email, gmail sent it prematurely. More to follow.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Anna Zhigalov <[address removed]> wrote:
> Re: proofs of Noah's ark
>
> I find this line of reasoning problematic. While there is a
> possibility that Noah's ark would be able to contain all the animals
> due to an act of divine will, we have no way of knowing that this was
> actually the case. The only thing telling us this is so is the Bible.
>
> The Bible is either:
>
>
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM, James Paster Jr. <[address removed]> wrote:
>> Doug,
>> One thing to think about in regards to science not being able to prove
>> Noah's ark. Let us say for sake of argument that the God I believe in is
>> Creator. Would He not be able to make the animals calm so they would not
>> kill each other? If He is truly all powerful and created the universe this
>> would be?child's?play for Him since as Creator He ordered all laws of
>> science into existence not too mention that He would not have to adhere to
>> them. Here is an interesting question. How do people with terminal cancer
>> become completely free of the disease over night(which has been documented
>> medically and scientifically)?
>> One other thing I would say is that one cannot become a Christian and then
>> not be one anymore according to God's word. You either are or are not. This
>> is a commonly mistaken belief of many who have never truly experienced God's
>> grace and mercy in their lives.
>> As for my belief in an all sovereign God, it is a very uncomfortable place
>> to be in yet at the same time comforting. I will need to explain this to you
>> face to face since there will be many questions about this concept.
>> Thank you Doug for being so kind to me in all that you have communicated. I
>> can only hope to be as kind in return.
>> Soli Deo Gloria,
>> Jim
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Douglas Scheesley <[address removed]>
>> To: [address removed]
>> Sent: Wed, Apr 14,[masked]:26 pm
>> Subject: Re: [questioningrel-83] Thoughts on "Recent thoughts from Doug"
>>
>>
>> James,
>>
>> Do not worry, no offense was taken at all.? Believe me, I have gone from
>> hardcore atheist to Christian to pagan... to a lot of different beliefs, and
>> the only thing that I really know is that I am not a big fan of organized
>> religion, in the sense that a hierarchy must exist.
>>
>> As for some of your quotes:
>>
>> "It is my quest to learn what the agnostic system of belief offers those who
>> hold to this view point, especially since after examining myself during this
>> time I found nothing of value in it for myself."
>>
>> Well, being agnostic really is not a religious belief... I would consider it
>> more a school of thought first, though I am sure many consider it a
>> religious position if you simply believe in a creator, but you can be
>> agnostic w/o believing in a creator.? To me, agnosticism is a transitional
>> state.? Please excuse the chemistry talk.? Transitional states, in
>> chemistry, are structures in between reactions.? So if you have a reaction
>> from starting material A to form product B, the transition state may look
>> more like A or B (A* or B*, respectively).? These transitions states are not
>> stable, they bounce back from form to form, and are usually difficult to
>> characterize.? That is really the only way I can describe my beliefs at
>> times.
>>
>> As for what value can be found by having a religious agnostic view?? For me
>> (and I am sure Mario will agree with this theme), I prefer the freedom I
>> have to believe what I wish.? The minute I call myself Christian (not that I
>> am), everyone immediately thinks they know what I believe, no different then
>> when I tell people I am a Republican... they automatically have a tendency
>> to assume that I think George Bush was the greatest President and that I get
>> off on torture (pardon my language, but a little pain never hurt anybody ;-)
>> I kid, I kid).? Anywho...
>>
>> I would say believing in a more formless creator has some great benefits.
>> One is that no one else can tell you what it is.? You have no established
>> doctrine, so there are no arguments.? If I want to believe that Anubis is
>> the male form of the creator, and Jean D'Arc is the female form of the
>> creator, no agnostic person can say "you are wrong".? Also, it allows me to
>> take what parts I agree with from any religion.? Because the Bible is the
>> major account of who God and Jesus are, I really do not care for them (I
>> find both divine beings, in the Bibles account, to be hypocritical).? I can
>> still believe that a sort of heaven and hell exist, but I do not have to
>> believe that the god that is talked about in the Bible has anything to do
>> with that.? I do not have to believe in Noahs ark as being historical fact
>> (something I cannot accept).? It allows me to be able to believe in
>> something, without having to get into a debate with an atheist about
>> ridiculous things such as how you could build such an ark where the animals
>> wouldn't kill each other and disease run rampant.? I can believe, without
>> scientific arguments being able to truely argue the validity, because
>> scientific validity is still important to me.? I can believe that Anubis is
>> God, and not a single person can scientifically prove me wrong.? True, you
>> can believe in the ark, but science has a basis to argue why it could not
>> have happened.
>>
>> To me, being agnostic gives you the flexibility to believe in a creative
>> force without being in conflict with ones scientific beliefs.? In
>> Christianity, I believe that is a little more difficult, especially when one
>> believes the Bible to be the word of God (which I do not).
>>
>> Please, do not take offense from my criticisms of a religion.? It is
>> important for you (and everyone) to know that as much as I believe in what I
>> do, I also believe that others have the right to believe what they want, and
>> I encourage that.? In fact, I find myself defending many of my Christian
>> friends, because I do think Christianity has gotten a bum wrap for certain
>> reasons.
>>
>> But I will also enforce, even though I may respect someones beliefs, it does
>> not mean I agree with them, as I usually do not, but I will accept them as
>> beliefs.
>>
>> And so you know, I have read the Old Testament some time ago, and took a
>> course in college on Biblical Narrative, because I believe it is important
>> for me to understand others beliefs.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Douglas Scheesley
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
>> this mailing list ([address removed])
>> This message was sent by Douglas Scheesley ([address removed]) from
>> Agnostics Anonymous Phoenixville.
>> To learn more about Douglas Scheesley, visit his/her member profile
>> To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here
>>
>> Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York[masked] |
>> [address removed]
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
>> this mailing list ([address removed])
>> This message was sent by James Paster Jr. ([address removed]) from Agnostics
>> Anonymous Phoenixville.
>> To learn more about James Paster Jr., visit his/her member profile
>> To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here
>>
>> Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York[masked] |
>> [address removed]
>

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy