Not all the cherry trees are around the Tidal Basin! Let’s give Bethesda some lovin’ and see how the cherry blossoms are coming along in Kenwood!
The route: From the Bethesda Metro Station we’ll walk south along Wisconsin Ave to Bethesda Ave, turn right, and walk a block west. Across the street from a Barns & Noble bookstore on our left is the entrance to the Capital Crescent Trail, and we’ll turn left and then take an immediate right to head southwest along the trail. Shortly after passing through Little Falls Park we’ll turn right on Dorset and walk west to the intersection of Dorset Ave and Brookside Dr.
From the intersection of Dorset Ave and Brookside Dr, we’ll walk back and forth along the neighborhood streets, checking out the cherry blossoms! (See the Google map at the link below.) The streets are pretty narrow, so we’ll have to keep a sharp eye out for cars and make sure to walk on the left side of the street, towards oncoming traffic. After walking around for a little over 2 miles, we’ll arrive back at the intersection of Dorset Ave and Brookside Dr, where we’ll retrace our steps to the Bethesda Metro Station.
The route is a modified out-and-back walk route totaling 5.08 miles of smiles and should take about 2 hours. The surface is paved and level throughout.
Google route map: http://tinyurl.com/n92g54y
How to get there:
If you're riding the Metro, the Bethesda Metro Station is on the Red Line.
If you're driving:
• From the I-495 Capital Beltway Inner Loop, take exit 34 to merge onto MD-355 S/Rockville Pike toward Wisconsin Ave/Bethesda and drive 2.7 miles. Bethesda Metro Station will be on the left, and you can (hopefully) find free parallel parking along nearby side streets.
• From the I-495 Capital Beltway Outer Loop, take exit 34 for Maryland 355 toward Rockville/Bethesda/Wisconsin Ave. Merge onto MD-355 N/Rockville Pike, and after driving north 0.4 miles, make a U-turn at Tuckerman Lane and follow MD-355 South for almost 3 miles. Bethesda Metro Station will be on the left, and you can (hopefully) find free parallel parking along nearby side streets.
Where to meet: We'll meet at the Metro exit plaza on the west side of the intersection of Wisconsin Ave and Old Georgetown Rd. Easy to spot – it’s just north of the Hyatt and there’s a clock tower, a modern art sculpture, and the usual bunch of newspaper boxes.
What to bring: Water, comfy shoes, and your furry friend if desired (leashes, please). The forecast is sunny and a high of 62 degrees, so the layered look and sunglasses are probably a good idea.
Administrative stuff: There are a couple of coffee shops and restaurants near the Metro station for a pit stop before and after the hike. As a reminder, this is a kids-free zone, no one under 18 years of age is permitted.
• Kenwood Cherry Blossoms at Yelp: http://tinyurl.com/mb89rfw
• Public parking garages: http://tinyurl.com/lgaso8h
• Starbucks, 7140 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD 20814
• Caribou Coffee, 7629 Old Georgetown Road, Bethesda, MD 20814
Hat tip to Donna for the great suggestion!