After these mountain hikes, flat is sounding pretty good. There's still some autumn leaves on the trees, so let's take a walk along the Cross County Trail!
The route: From Wakefield Park, we’ll walk south along the Cross County Trail to Lake Accotink (GPS =[masked],[masked]) and return.
The walk is 2.5 miles out and back for 5 miles of smiles. We should be finished in around 2 hours. The surface is a mix of dirt and gravel.
Where to meet: We'll meet in the first parking lot to the left, west of the baseball diamonds. (GPS =[masked],[masked] – NOT the parking lot for the Rec Center.)
How to get there: The park entrance is at the intersection of Braddock Road and West Braddock/Queensbury Roads. (GPS =[masked],-77.224638.) From I-495, take Exit 54A (Braddock Road) west for one quarter mile to the park entrance on the right. After entering the park, it’s the first parking lot to the left after the entrance to the maintenance area.
What to bring: Water, comfy shoes, and your furry friend if desired. Forecast for Saturday is sunny and a high of 54, so consider the layered look. This is a kids-free zone, no one under 18 please.
Administrative stuff: There are restrooms at the meetup point parking lot, and at the Wakefield Rec Center. To get to the Rec Center, drive past the meetup point and turn left at the sign for the center. There are also facilities at our turnaround point at Lake Accotink.
After the walk:
- The Swiss Bakery Café is across Braddock Road in Ravensworth Shopping Center. (From the park exit, turn left on Braddock and take the first right at the stoplight on Port Royal Road.) The café serves Swiss and Bavarian breakfast and lunch until 2:00 pm.
- Kilroy’s, also in Ravensworth Shopping Center, has an extensive menu and if you “like” their Facebook page, you get a $10 gift certificate to spend.
- Audrey Moore Recreation Center, 8100 Braddock Road, Annandale VA,[masked]: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/rec/wakerec.htm
- Cross County Trail: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/cct/
- Cross County Trail Maps: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/cct/cctoverview.htm
- Swiss Bakery Café, 5224 Port Royal Road, Springfield VA,[masked]: http://www.theswissbakery.com/store/c/108-Caf-at-Ravensworth.html
- Kilroy’s, 5250 Port Royal Road, Springfield, VA 22151,[masked]: http://kilroys.com/main.htm