Algorithms and Data Structures Message Board › Seeking Algorithm Help

Seeking Algorithm Help

Emeka
user 7556980
New York, NY
Post #: 9
Hi, I'm a non-tech, non-math guy working on launching GoodToGoOut (www.goodtogoout.com or www.facebook.com/goodtogoout) a fashion oriented question and answer site that helps match people to others in their style ecosystem in order to get fast, relevant advice.

While we're planning on holding off on some of the matching features for now I wanted to see about enlisting some help towards figuring out the best possible algorithms to use for the matching system and also what kind of weight I should give to the different elements that feed into the determination of relevance. If anyone has any resources, recommendations, or anything at all to help point me in the right direction I'd be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing back and thanks for taking the time to read this message!

Thanks,

Emeka
A former member
Post #: 3
I think you might benefit from a classic machine learning algorithm. For each person in your system, assign them a set of features. Then explicitly define which people in your system are matches (or not) to train your model. Once you have a model, you should be able to predict future matches based on the features.

Of course, coding a machine learning algorithm is not simple, but there are decades worth of implementations and code out there to work with as a starting point.

Google even has a free API (never tried it, cannot talk about its usefulness):
http://code.google.co...­