align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
Yolanda
user 5335293
Dallas, TX
Post #: 5
Does anybody have one? I'm thinking of installing them in my house. Do they really save water?
A former member
Post #: 34
Yolanda,

I applaud your desire to help take care of our plant!

The idea of a dual flush toilet is sound and been around in Australia for lots of years.
You might want to do some Google reading /research before you buy as
there are a few disadvantages, like toilet costs more, doesn't flush as well, leaves streaks, etc.
Most are of minor concern.

Consider a kit to convert your existing toilet to dual flush.
You can test your present toilet to see if it will do dual flush well by quickly pouring 3/4 a gallon of water in the bowl and observing the results. The 1/2 flush kit will do a better job than that but it will give you an idea.
The typical standard flush is 1.6gp per flush. The smaller volume flush is around 0.8gp per flush.

Also, if easy when you buy, consider getting a toilet that is normal chair height, i.e. tall. They are becoming
more popular, help with weak knees, and help sell your house if an older person will be living there.

Here are some links for your consideration:
http://home.howstuffw...­
video how a flush works

http://www.amazon.com...­
dual flush kits
Bob Jordan
Yolanda
user 5335293
Dallas, TX
Post #: 7
Thanks you! We found a dual flush kit conversion kit at Home Depot for $20-$25. We got two for half the price of a new toilet! We also got the kit with the button instead of the handle.
There are a few small kinks. I think it's because we also have a water bladder in the tank that reduces the amount of water allowed in the tank. So, the smaller button doesn't flush the toilet completely. It dillutes the contents though. The instructions weren't all that helpful, but there are intructional videos on youtube. I love it though! Its a cheap and easy way to make a small change to your home.