Ameripon Message Board › 1/13/2012 Japanese Language 24/7 Weekly Recap and Encouragement

1/13/2012 Japanese Language 24/7 Weekly Recap and Encouragement

This message board is read-only.

Louis
lwellington
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 39
Hajimemashou! :o)

EVENTS: This week has a big Event and it hasn't even happened yet! Lauren is doing a Karaoke event tomorrow (Saturday) and so far, it will be the best-attended event that we have ever had. Karaoke seems to be quite popular with many Group Members and that means we will definitely be having more of these in the future. Lauren also is the Organizer of her own Japanese Meetup group in NJ and it shows! She is great at this and something tells me that we are going to have a very Japanese day tomorrow.

FACEBOOK POSTING: The posts have reminded me how much I love playing video games in Japanese. The flavor is so unique (as compared to watered-down English translations) and even reading NPC statements are fun! Think about it. When was the last time that you actually WANTED to talk to NPCs while in town. I also end up feeding kanji and vocabulary from these video games into my Skritter and (eventually) internalize the meaning of the vocab and how to write the kanji. As I always say, the kanji that you truly know are the kanji that you can write.

This has been an exciting month for the group so far and it is not even half over! We have been blessed with multiple new members and we still have 4 Events coming up this month, including the Karaoke that is creating much buzz.

I was thinking this week about how I learned to sing in church and improvise during songs. I never actually learned how to sing hymns. I "learned" how to read music but I didn't "learn" how to feel notes. I just internalized it by receiving a steady stream of Catholic music my entire life (which is how I learned English as well. English is not my first language.) So now I maintain a steady stream of Japanese and in fact....I am listening to a Japanese podcast through my earbuds as I write this email to you. I hope that you are doing the same ;)

Ogenki de!

-Louis

Japanese Language 24/7 Policy: Inactive (non-participating) members will be gently deleted from our roster on a daily basis. The definition of "inactive" is a member who does not post on Facebook or RSVPs for Events for 30 consecutive days. To be considered Active and to avoid being gently deleted, come to at least 1 Meetup Event a month OR post at least 1 Facebook post a month. Thank you. And I am always available for any questions or help that you want (as I am also a part-time Japanese instructor for Beginners.) If you want or need help, please ask. We are all here to learn WITHOUT judgment or trolling. The only bad Japanese that will get you booted from this group is NO Japanese! And being a no-show at an Event would get you booted as well, of course :)