The Paris Anglophone Book Club Message Board › Suggest a book for June !

Suggest a book for June !

Ganit
user 7699445
Group Organizer
Paris, FR
Hey book lovers,

As we discussed in the last meeting, the theme that we would like to propose for June’s meetup is : « country of origin literature »…we come from different countries and it would be interesting to learn about writers from your countries, which we might not necessarily hear about otherwise...

So, go ahead, propose a book written by an author from your country (please, mention the country in your message so that we will not have to go into a lot of researchJ)

Pleaseverify that it is translated, at least, to English and what would be the exact title so that members can find them easily. If you could add a line or two about the book, that would be great.

Based on your proposals, we will set a poll by the end of this week, so you have until Sunday evening to propose you books.

Waiting for your proposals...

Ganit
Marie-Jeanne M.
user 81722132
Paris, FR
Post #: 1
Hi,

I would like to propose, the Russian author Ivan Turgenev's 'Fathers and Sons' for the June reading.
Ruxandra
user 13115007
Paris, FR
Post #: 1
Hi,

Here are 2 suggestions, one from my Romanian side, another from the Hungarian ;)

I've got them with the help of another passionate reader, my librarian aunt.
The most difficult part was translation, I realised with that occasion that most of the very good romanian or hungarian writers are just not available in English ...

Romania :
The Land of Green Plums by Herta Muller (she had been awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2009)
Amazon description : "Set in Romania at the height of Ceausescu's reign of terror, "The Land of Green Plums" tells the story of a group of young students, each of whom has left the impoverished provinces in search of better prospects in the city. It is a profound illustration of a totalitarian state which comes to inhabit every aspect of life; to the extent that everyone, event the strongest, must either bend to the oppressors, or resist them and perish."

Herta Muller writes actually in German, but about Romania, with a beautiful, powerful, dark writing, that won't let you unmoved.

Hungary :
The Book of Fathers by Miklos Vamos
Amazon description : "When in 1705 Kornell Csillag's grandfather returns destitute to his native Hungary from exile, he happens across a gold fob-watch gleaming in the mud. The shipwrecked fortunes of the Csillag family suddenly take a new and marvelous turn. The golden watch brings an unexpected gift to the future generations of firstborn sons: clairvoyance. Passed down from father to son, this gift offers the ability to look into the future or back into history–for some it is considered a blessing, for others a curse. No matter the outcome, each generation records its astonishing, vivid, and revelatory visions into a battered journal that becomes known as The Book of Fathers. For three hundred years the Csillag family line meanders unbroken across Hungary's rivers and vineyards, through a land overrun by wolves and bandits, scarred by plague and massacre, and brutalized by despots. Impetuous, tenderhearted, and shrewd, the Csillags give birth to scholars and gamblers, artists and entrepreneurs. Led astray by unruly passions, they marry frigid French noblewomen and thieving alehouse whores. They change their name and their religion, and change them back. They wander from home but always return, and through it all The Book of Fathers bears witness to holocaust and wedding feast alike."

A great familly story over 300 years, interresting for getting to know better the Hungarian culture.

I'm not sure though that it's as easily accessible as the previous book.

Really looking forward to the next meetup, and to hearing from you guys, with other culture discoveries ...

Please feel free to contact me for further informations if necessary ! :-)

Regards,
Ruxandra
Ganit
user 7699445
Group Organizer
Paris, FR
Post #: 17
Thanks for the great suggestions!
As there was already one Hungarian suggestion I picked the Romanian author...