Animal Advocates of Arizona (AAAZ) Message Board › PHOENIX AREA: PLEASE HELP "SCRAPPY!"

PHOENIX AREA: PLEASE HELP "SCRAPPY!"

Julie S.
user 7537395
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 1
I am writing to seek help/advice/direction regarding a very sweet Bully stray.

I live in the northwest section of the city of Phoenix. This dog (link to photos below) happened into my front yard at midnight on June 28th, as my husband was watering the grass. The dog immediately ran through the sprinklers and could not get enough. It was a very hot night. We brought him into the back yard, and gave him food and water. With more light and closer inspection, we saw that "Scrappy" (as I've come to call him) has several scars on his face, and has a large, red scar which goes all the way around his neck. His ribs were visible, and his coat looked unhealthy. We are pretty sure he is an American Bulldog/Pit Bull mix. He is not neutered; we believe he was used for breeding.

As uneasy as we were with the thought of sending Scrappy back to a home where he was abused/neglected, we posted "found dog" signs all over our neighborhood, and posted several ads on Craigslist… all to no avail. We’ve been trying to find someone we know to take him, but we’ve had no luck with that, either.

Despite Scrappy's scars, he is a sweet, affectionate boy who just wants to be loved. He has shown absolutely no aggression in the 3½ weeks he's been with us; he has not so much as growled... not even at the cat! My husband, Rick, and I have given him love and taken good care of Scrappy, but we are not in a place to keep him. Here's the thing: One week before Scrappy came into our lives, we lost our 10-year-old Yellow Lab, Duke, to cancer. The onset of the sickness was quick; he was unable to walk on Sunday, June 3rd, and after three days at Sonora Animal Hospital, he died on the night of June 6th. It remains so emotionally painful to us. He was the best dog I'd ever known, and we are just not ready for another.

We do not want to bring Scrappy to the Humane Society. We know that, because of his breed and appearance, he will most likely not be adopted, and we cannot stand the thought of him being euthanized. He is scarred, young, and untrained. However, I am confident that once he is neutered he would make a wonderful pet for someone. Again, he is very affectionate and happy. (His tail is constantly wagging!) He just wants to love and be loved! (He’s grown very attached to Rick!)

Any help/direction anyone can give use would be greatly appreciated.

If you are interested in taking Scrappy as your own, we would be happy to help with the cost of neutering.

We really can’t keep him much longer, but I don’t think we could bear a summer of two dog deaths under our watch.

Sincerely,

Julie

http://www.facebook.c...­