addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Anime SOS Brigade Message Board › Japanese Language Session

Japanese Language Session

Shu
user 108866662
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 1
Hi guys. As requested, I'm going to teach Japanese before or after the anime session. (I want to do it before but let me know what you think)

This will be one hour session and I want to make it very casual.
These are the things that I'm thinking of doing for the next session:
- basic vocabulary & grammer
- formal & casual ways of greeting in Japanese
- Japanese slang (and internet & anime slang)

For suggestions and requests please write in this discussion forum :)
A former member
Post #: 15
Mind if I suggest tools and ordering of doing things? (Since I've recently gone through the self-teaching process?)
Shu
user 108866662
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 2
Sure :) What is it?
A former member
Post #: 16
Lots of places you go to learn japanese start off with learning phrases and things like that. If you're just trying to learn survival japanese, those lessons are fine. If you're actually going to try and understand japanese, learn the grammar and the words.

Very beginning
Hirigana (learn first and completely) then Katakana. (Homework stuff)
Few basic words
Basic Grammar: desu, question, no('apostrophe') , other simple stuff like
Who what when how why where, if, although, too, and, here, there, that, this, which, me, you, he, her, from, can, can't, want, like, hate, don't, etc.

Some websites to try out
www.thejapanesepage.com Is a good place for free grammar lessons. It's a bit too fast for a super beginner in my opinion. I'd use this as a second source.

For super super beginners, You can try out Textfugu (Costs a bit of money, just pay for 1 month cause that's as long as you will probably need it for.) It's a good tool to start out because there's a lot of explanation and it goes very slowly. But it keeps that same pace for too long and so I left it after chapter 4-5.

http://www.japan-acti...­
Decent materials, also has a pay wall (like $10) but has some decent free stuff too.

Don't use Japanesepod or any other podcast learning service. It's slow, inefficient and you won't learn anything worthwhile (unless you're learning survival japanese)

Building the basics so you can understand 30% of what people are saying in anime.
Start using a textbook. By this stage, a text book will become quite useful. It provides you with activities, and you will be able to understand it much better. Text books are generally not clear enough with the super basics but are quite concise. You don't have to do everything in the textbook but just go over things that you find useful.

This is also the stage where you want to learn the kanji for your words. In the beginning just learning the words will be more useful!

Other grammar concepts you need to understand: soon you'll get sentences with lots of "no"s, "wa"s and "ga"s and it's a bit difficult to know how the sentence is structured. Practice reading such sentences!

Vocab Building - Super super super super important. Did I say super?
Memrise (Online, as well as Apple store and google play store app) Search japanese and it will give you lots of words to practice. I use it everyday on the train, to and from school. Lets you learn about 20 words really well in about an hour.
(If you do it for 5 days a week, After 1 month you'll learn 300-400ish words!)
Now you'll understand

Anki (pc app):
I used this for a while but preferred memrise. This allows you to create your own memory decks or download other peoples. It took a lot longer to learn each word because it was completely self corrected. It's customization options are its major advantage though.

Obviously you can use anime for listening practice. Sometimes I end up pausing the anime I'm watching when I hear phrases I understand, then repeat a few times!

Speaking practice is obviously going to be the hardest one. I'm thinking of joining a language exchange meetup but I haven't yet.
Michelle
user 37303532
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 26
I'm very much up for this .....especially if i can get my butt to an actual meet up....
Shu
user 108866662
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 3
Thank you for giving suggestion,Shane. I think we can start with casual phrases and slangs so that everyone can enjoy. I don't think you guys are thinking of doing this session for intensive learning, as it's going to be only one hour session in every two weeks.

But, yes, I think it's a good idea to cover from the basics, like basic vocabulary, grammar rules, etc. :)
Shu
user 108866662
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 4
Hey guys. I'm wrapping up what to do for today's Japanese session.
As in one of the suggestions Shane gave to us, I'll include some basic vocabulary & grammatical notes so that we can experience extensive learning :)

- How to introduce yourself in Japanese.
- How to greet in Japanese (Polite way to say & casual way to say, with some vocabulary/grammatical notes)
- More conversation that follows after greeting (like "how was your weekend?", with some vocabulary/grammatical notes)
- Japanese slangs (Look forward to what you'll learn! lol)

I'm very looking forward to seeing how it goes like. Let's have fun! ;)