The Annapolis Movie Club Message Board › E-street Cinema

E-street Cinema

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello, I am new to MeetUp, and am anxious to get to my first movie. Not a huge fan of the blockbuster type movies coming out, but I do want to see the new Terminator, so hopefully I will get to meet some of you there.

I am curious if anyone ever makes it down to the E-Street Cinema in DC. I have never been, but have heard its very nice. I am probably not the best person to organize a trip there, since I am new, but I would love to check it out if anyone is interested.

Right now, there is a movie called 'The Limits of Control' which I have also seen called 'No Limits, No Control' by Jim Jamusch. I have seen a few films by Jamusch and have mixed feelings, but the cast in this is promising (Gael Garcia Bernal, Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, John Hurt). I will be in Boston this week and plan on going to this theatre up there called the Coolidge Corner Theatre. I may end up seeing it there, and will pass along a recommendation if so.

I would also like to see 'Sin Nombre' and 'Is Anybody There?' (Michael Caine).

Either way, I would love to make it down to E-Street some time, any other takers?

Also, I love several independent/foreign/classic films, so if anyone wants to go see something a little older or more obscure, you wont have to twist my arm.
A former member
Post #: 1
I went to E Street Cinema a couple weeks ago to see "The Chaser", a Korean film that was part of the International Film Festival. The theater is nice. It serves food and drinks, including beer and wine. The seats were comfortable, too. There's a parking garage attached to the theater. If you get your parking validated at the theater, the rate is reduced. I'm sure it's also easily metro accessible.

I planned to go see "Sin Nombre" when it was showing at the Harbor Center in Annapolis, but it was there so briefly that I missed it. I know a couple of people who have seen it and they all say it's very good. It would be great if we could organize a meetup to see it. "The Limits of Control" sounds like it has a good plot. I would be interested in a meetup for that, too.

Like you, I'm new to Meetup. I haven't even gone to an event with this group yet. But I would be fine with co-organizing a meetup at E Street Cinema to see one of those movies since I've been there before.

A former member
Post #: 2
Great, either a Sunday matinee or week night next week would work for me.
A former member
Post #: 3
After reading some more reviews, Sin Nombre looks like a cross between Motorcycle Diaries and City of God, I would love to see this. Unfortunately, it is not being shown at E-street anymore, but is at Bethesda Row Cinema.

http://www.landmarkth...­

Here are showtimes.
A former member
Post #: 2
I've also been to Bethesda Row Cinema a few times. It's nice, the same as E-Street. I could make the 1:40 or 4:20 on Sunday. I could also make the 7:05 next Tuesday or Wednesday.
A former member
Post #: 5
Sin Nombre was great...violent and graphic, but one of the better movies I have seen in a while. Bethesda Row Cinema is a nice theatre, would definitely go back.

Limits of Control was as strange as I expected it to be, and could have been so much better, but with Jamusch, I got what I expected. Interesting art piece with some great cameos. I saw this at Coolidge Corner Theatre in boston, a theatre that looks like it is out of the 50's. Unfortunately, a few mice had made it home, and were scurrying around the theatre for much of the movie.

Sorry I didn't get back to you about seeing one of these...I was traveling last week and am this week as well, so my schedule has been a bit hectic.
A former member
Post #: 3
No worries - I saw "Sin Nombre" in Bethesda, too. I agree with you about it. Great plot, actors, and pacing, but brutal violence.

I'll probably skip Limits of Control. It doesn't sound like my kind of flick. That theater in Boston sounds like a nightmare in itself. Wasn't there a horror movie about mice scurrying around?

When I saw "Star Trek" with the group, Shaila told me about the DC film meetup. She said they have meetups for Independent films. I've joined it and the calendar does include a few independent films that are coming up. You might want to try there, too.