The Ann Arbor Area RPG & D&D Group Message Board › One-shot LARP!

One-shot LARP!

A former member
Post #: 2
Hey, all-- on Saturday I was talking to a few people about the LARPs (live-action role-playing games) I'm trying to recruit players for, and I figured I ought to follow up. You can find out more at the meetup group here: http://www.meetup.com...­.

Short story: If you're into the role-playing part of RPGs, you'll definitely like the LARP group, and you should check out the meetup group!

Longer story: The reason LARPs are called "live-action" is because you actually act like your character and act out what you're doing. This makes it way easier (and, I think, more fun) to role-play in a LARP.

The sorts of LARPs I run are a little like low-combat tabletop D&D games. The focus is mostly on role-playing. In a well-written game, each player gets a detailed character sheet before the game, and starts the game embroiled in all sorts of exciting conflicts and relationships. That makes it easy to role-play and to stay entertained, even for new players.

Unlike, say, a D&D campaign, you don't need any previous experience with a rules system to play in a theatrical LARP; you don't need to build your own character; and you don't need any special equipment. Plus, playing a precreated character can be a really fun role-playing experience, at least when the game is well-written-- it's a chance to role-play a fully developed, interesting character without going to the trouble of developing that character yourself over months of an RPG campaign. (And it gives you a chance to spend a few hours role-playing a character you wouldn't normally think to play, which can be very cool...)

The next game is going to be end of January or beginning of February. Send me a message or join the meetup group if you want to hear more.

</advertisement>