The Ann Arbor Area RPG & D&D Group Message Board › Something dark and siniter...

Something dark and siniter...

David
user 15894621
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 51
I am interested in starting a game in either the Deadlands setting or the World of Darkness (WoD) setting.

I'm fairly open about either framework, though I do prefer the old WoD (oWoD) to the new WoD (nWoD) as far as the actual world is concerned. Many nWoD rules are definite improvements though. So perhaps a blending would be fun. This is my most familiar system, as far as hours spent playing.

Deadlands on the other hand is just cool. Cards and dice. Using all the dice regularly. And the original setting is not called the weird west for nothing!
Laura M.
Alyksandrei
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 22
Sounds interesting ... weekends are my only available times, and transportation could be an issue (can't drive a stick, and that's all that would be available regularly - family cars, you know).
Christopher H.
user 103861502
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 11
My availability is pretty good schedule-wise, but somewhat limited total hours-wise.

Do you know what systems you would be thinking about within WoD? My top vote would be for Wraith, which looks awesome, but which I have yet to manage to convince a sufficient number of other people to play.

On a blending note, are you familiar with Genius: The Transgression (http://tvtropes.org/p...­, https://sites.google....­ It's heavily inspired by Mage: The Ascension (though with some huge differences), but use nWoD mechanics.

Also is this more likely to be sandbox-y or mission-y?
David
user 15894621
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 52
Wraith, while fascinating, has its limits. I'm not sure how much I would like to play an entirely wraith oriented game, at least not without a bunch of time to plan it out. I am not familiar with the nWoD (Geist?) rules. In general, I tend not to require specific genres, instead letting the party guide such decisions. I've been playing long enough that I can balance an Ahroun and a mageling in the same party without too much trouble. nWoD has just made that even easier.

Hmm...as to Genius, that looks like a fascinating take on the Technocracy from oWoD. Interesting. I think I like it. I'll be reading more soon.

I'm also open to the other storyteller systems if people are interested in playing any of those (Trinity universe, Scion, Exalted, ...).

I am a literary type. I like characters, plots, and themes. Missions happen. Sandboxes are played in. People freak out (well characters, mostly). Their minds are blown. It's all part of the job of the Storyteller. It's what makes this fun!
David
user 15894621
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 53
I live on UM campus so anyone coming over would only need to get to a Magic Bus and then go into Northwood.

Also, we could play a conglomerated WoD game of my own design.

Please let me know any ideas you are having on this subject.
David
user 15894621
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 54
I figure it's about time that I gave some background on these games for those who haven't played them.

The World of Darkness is a horror/dark adventure setting that has a wide variety of story frameworks available to play in. It boasts what is probably the richest set of setting materials available for any game yet published. It has plots spanning recorded history and rules mechanics for playing just about any horrible you might want to consider. It also stretches, in its own sinister way, into a number of additional genres: high fantasy, modern godlings, hard sci-fi, pulp adventure, super beings, etc, as well as providing rules that support a very Lovecraftian/Call of Cthulhu game.

Deadlands is also a somewhat varied setting encompassing three basic options, all of them with an added twist of dark fantasy: wild west ("weird west"), post-apocalyptic ("wasted west"), and firefly reminiscent sci-fi ("way-out west"). These time periods/locations are somewhat interconnected in a fun way. Game play is fast and fun, and includes cards as well as a healthy spread of dice. Everything has a element of the best of classic western and steampunk style.
Marie
Saedista
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 1
David

What days/times are you thinking of running this campaign?

As to the cards, are those something each player needs or something the GM provides?

Thanks
David
user 15894621
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 55
Days/times are still "to be determined." (though it is looking like weekends)

They are standard playing cards (with jokers), and I can provide them, though you may want your own deck for the sake of fun.

We would only need two decks total.