The Ann Arbor Area RPG & D&D Group Message Board › DM needed for Sat. Meetup

DM needed for Sat. Meetup

Dennis D.
user 2422415
Group Organizer
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 12
We are looking for someone to run a D&D or other RPG on Saturday September 12th. So far there is Miriam's Thay game, Brian's 4.0 game, and the teen 3.5 game. There will be enough adults to run another 3.5 or other game.

Let me know if you are interested.

Dennis
wonderama@juno.com
Keyan
user 10207935
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 3
So your not going to run the game anymore Dennis?
Bummer... So what excatly will be happening to the kids group?
Should I come or not? >_<
Brian S.
Alberand
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 157
Keyan - I believe Jim is running the kid's game this month.

Everyone - Based on recent attendance, we could definitely use another regular GM. My table tends to be overflowing, and the others are always full as well. One more person to run games every month would be very helpful if someone is willing to volunteer.

Based on my personal experience, I would highly suggest one-shot adventures, because it is hard to get a consistent group of players from one month to the next unless you want to start another campaign with set players (like Miriam's game).

If anyone else would want to try running 4th edition, it is a very simple system for the DM, plus there is the Dungeon Delve book (a collection of short adventures), and I have a good number of WotC's modules in PDF format that I could share.

I most likely also have my old collection of 3.x adventures if that is your flavor of choice, and you can probably still find a lot of them on Wizards' site and elsewhere on the internet.
Kolo
user 9942115
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 1
I wouldn't mind DM-ing for a 4e beginner's group. I have only been playing D&D for about 6 months and have never been a DM but I would like to learn. So, if there are some beginner's out there that wouldn't mind a beginner DM and would be willing to learn the game together that would be great.

If there is interest in that and after I have done that for a little while (to learn the game better) then I wouldn't mind running a regular game.

Of course there is always the risk that I might horribly fail at being a DM because I suck, so there is that... =)

What do you think? Any interest?

I guess I should also mention that I just moved to Michigan so the Sept. meetup would be my first meetup with this group. Can't wait to meet you all.
Brian S.
Alberand
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 158
Hi Kolo,

Welcome to the group!

A lot of our long time members are D&D 3.0/3.5 grognards-in-training. wink I currently run the only 4e table, but I do always have at least six players, and often eight or more. It would be fantastic to have someone else running a regular 4e game, or at least someone willing to start a second table when there is overflow.

If you have never run a game before, 4e is wonderfully easy to pick up and run, so you can focus on developing your storytelling skills instead of learning and looking up rules. I loved running 2e and 3e, but 4th edition is much less time consuming for the DM. I can put together 2-3 encounters in less than an hour (and it's even faster if you use the template encounters from the monster manuals). It is also very easy to run because both the player and monster powers explain most/all of what you need to know right in the text. The biggest problem I have is in figuring out how to devise effective tactics for the monsters, but that has always been one of my weak points as a DM, regardless of system. tongue

Hope to see you at the meetup! Feel free to chat with me before or after about running games and we'll see what we can do.
scott
Palintear
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 10
Kolo

Id also like to DM a 4E game someday,but right know i'm too green when it come to the 3rd & 4th edition formats.
Id like to join your group at the Meetup, iv got all the necessary equipment to run a game i just need to learn more & i learn better from doing then reading so if you need any help "not that id be much help" ill do what i can & maybe we can both get some DMing experience.

Scott
Kolo
user 9942115
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 2
Thanks Brian and Scott. It's nice to see some encouragement/friendly people on an internet message board. tongue

Looks like we have at least Scott and I so far for the beginners table, so maybe we will pick up some overflow or other new folks.

Scott - Sounds like maybe we could take turns running a game until we get the hang of things and then possibly run a longer story arc when we get more experience. I like Brian's idea of using the Dungeon Delve book for some quick-hitter type games.
scott
Palintear
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 12
Kolo

I have the Delve book ill bring it to the next Meetup along with all my other 4e stuff.

see you then & battle on

Scott
A former member
Post #: 110
Our group is definitely a great place for new GM's and new players.

There are plenty of experienced people to help everyone experiment with something new.
Seneca R.
user 9983256
Dexter, MI
Post #: 1
Depending on how things work out with my oldest son playing in the young ones game, I might be able to run 4e games, particularly the delves. I've DMed for other systems before, but I haven't yet got an actual chance to play 4e, but I do know the system really well (read a lot and have listened to a bunch of podcast plays).

I'll try to bring a laptop when I come tomorrow - I have D&D Insider, which includes access to a lot of stuff for 4e, including a huge number of pre-written adventures.