The Ann Arbor Area RPG & D&D Group Message Board › October meetup game

October meetup game

A former member
Post #: 21
I will be running a game of Qerth at the next meetup. Qerth is a slapstick comedy fantasy setting RPG which mocks D&D and its players. The game is a blast to play. But, it requires a few things from players:

• a pencil with an eraser
  • a set of polyhedral dice--sucky, low-rolling dice are best for this game, so spring your "bad" dice out of their prison and bring them to this event
  • one of the following: (a) thespian-level roleplaying, or, barring that, then (b) the ability to come up with crazy-ass ideas, and then having your character do just that! Bonus points if the ideas are utterly logic-defying. (You can actually swallow a Volkswagen in this game--if you find a Volkswagen in a fantasy world--but it's the idea that counts!)
  • a sense of humor about gaming and gamers

The game will start in, naturally, a tavern, and you will be hired, naturally, to raid a dungeon. It all goes to hell, in a handbasket, of course, after that.

The ruleset is QAGS (Quck Ass Game System). The name says it all: it is very easy to learn how to play. You don't even need the rulebook--the GM has that. There really are not that many rules at all--it nearly a total free for all.

I will supply pre-generated PCs, minis, game mat, and even a prize for the best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) player or PC--the table will vote by ballot. The prize might be lame, befitting the lack of decorum at the table, but it is a prize nonetheless!

The game is at least PG-13 and perhaps even R-rated (adult situations, strong language, and nudity--not from me, but undoubtedly from your fellow players, or from their PCs). So, no kids at the table, please.

Furthermore, if you are easily offended by the slaying, literally and figuratively, of sacred fantasy cows, then please find another game--trust me, you will not be able to make the Will save.

I can only take 8 players at the table. So, RSVP to this message if you want to ensure a spot at the table.

See you next month,

B
Brian S.
Alberand
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 163
That sounds like a lot of fun, and I would love to play, but only if there are enough games to go around that I don't need to run a table. Can you pencil me in but not reserve a spot? tongue

Brian
A former member
Post #: 7
I would love to join but like last time I will be an hour+ late... :(
A former member
Post #: 22
Fellow gamers:

At present I only have 1.5 players. In the past I have struggled to get people interested in other RPGs. I suspect this is the case again.

If I do not have a few more confirmations on this message board by Friday, I will cancel this proposed Saturday game, and will try to run a table of it at HalloCon instead.

So, let's hear from you!

B
Brian S.
Alberand
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 164
It is a "D&D" meetup, I suppose, but I think this kind of venue is a great way to try out a new game system. It gives you a taste of the rules and world so you can see if you like it without joining an ongoing campaign.

Feng Shui was a lot of fun last month, and this sounds as crazy, or even crazier. I would highly encourage people to try it out if you are not committed to one of the ongoing D&D games at the meetup.
A former member
Post #: 114
It is always good to try out multiple gaming systems. Although I always come back to D&D, I find that other system have aspects of them that I enjoyed more than D&D.

GURPS - low level characters and highly active roleplaying (becomes annoying with combat and high level characters)

Shadowrun - creative futuristic vision with a decent combat/magic system (plots tend to be robotic, there are a LOT of rules to learn, the game is very unbalanced time wise in favor of specific players)

Runequest - mish mash of vikings and duck men with my favorite system for XP handouts (very old and hard to find anyone willing to play)

RIFTS - futuristic mish mash of science and magic, Shadowrun on steroids but with much better plot system (player characters vary too much in combat power levels and many can feel left out if you have a dragon in the party)

And many more...