The Ann Arbor Area RPG & D&D Group Message Board › Frank's 4th Edition DnD Campaign.

Frank's 4th Edition DnD Campaign.

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 87
This discussion thread is being moved from the Southeast Detroit forum due to the sessions being based in Ann Arbor. I'd consider the other thread closed.

-J.
A former member
Post #: 88
Now then. Regarding the "1st" session w/ the larger group:

@ Jim & Frank - The Attacks of Opportunity rule no longer existing in 4th Edition, in a way, suck. That's saying it harshly. As of right now you can stand from Prone w/out provoking an attack. However, I do believe that should have a House-Rule that makes sense. See below.

House-Rule: When attempting to Stand from a Prone position you may either a.) Stand, using a Move Action and provoking an Attack of Opportunity OR b.) Defensive Stand, using a Move Action and a Standard Action to stand from Prone in a defensive manner, thus not provoking an Attack of Opportunity.

@ Max - I can tell, as a new player, that you seemed interested, but liked the role-play aspects of it more then the combat. Then again there is a lot to learn for a brand new player. Stick w/ it!

Things I learned from tonight from people:

- Dave doesn't care where he templates his Bursts/Blasts as long as something dies.
- Doug will always be the one to announce our presents.
- James kicks ass w/ his Paladin and should keep it that way.
- Frank easily put up w/ a lot to handle all at once and gets mucho-respect for that.
- Max shouldn't poke an Evil Warforged Warden, even if he is intrigued by having never seen one before. "Oh... Look at the Dragon! *Poke.*
- Dave realized that being the Leader of a large party can suck as everyone will do what they would like.
- Too many Controllers... Not enough Strikers.
- Don't blow your Power load right at the beginning of the fight.
- Sometimes it's just better to beat things open then trying to pick their locks w/ no skill. Sure... You may break what's inside, but it's quicker. Plus, if you close your eyes you can imagine your target as a pinata.

-J.

P.s. At least I got a Dragon.
Frank
user 8600072
Davisburg, MI
Post #: 183
@ Jim & Frank - The Attacks of Opportunity rule no longer existing in 4th Edition, in a way, suck. That's saying it harshly. As of right now you can stand from Prone w/out provoking an attack. However, I do believe that should have a House-Rule that makes sense. See below.

House-Rule: When attempting to Stand from a Prone position you may either a.) Stand, using a Move Action and provoking an Attack of Opportunity OR b.) Defensive Stand, using a Move Action and a Standard Action to stand from Prone in a defensive manner, thus not provoking an Attack of Opportunity.

That is a hard sell for me since I am not a big fan of opportunity attacks in general. So I am going to have to say no to that.

- Frank easily put up w/ a lot to handle all at once and gets mucho-respect for that.

Thanks. The big group was fun. The encounter took a while but it was a pretty big encounter (21 total combatants and most were not minions).

- Too many Controllers... Not enough Strikers.

That was part of the reason the fight took a while. A striker or two could have speed things up.

- Don't blow your Power load right at the beginning of the fight.

For this encounter it wasn't a big deal since it was basically a single encounter adventure. In future adventures when there are multiple encounters before an extended rest then you need to be careful about managing dailies.

Overall I had a great time last night. Looks like we have a pretty good group.
Frank
user 8600072
Davisburg, MI
Post #: 184
Okay, treasure.

First, the followng items were dispersed.
-- Jason: Longsword +1 at 160% (576 gp) and Pseudodragon pet
-- Doug: 1 Healing Potion (50 gp)
-- James: 1 Healing Potion (50 gp)
-- ??? I am drawing a blank on who got the third Healing Potion

Jason agreed to give up his share to the rest of the treasure for the dragon. There was 6852 in total non-magic item treasure and 150 gp in magic item treasure (i.e. the potions -- I will discuss the +1 rapier below) for a total of 7,002 gp in treasure. Those that got a potion will get 1,117 in gp and those ithout a potion will get 1,167 in gp.

According to 4e rules magic items can be sold for 20% of list price. So the rapier would only sell for 72 gp. Now the group could do that or as an alternative there is a guy in Saltmarsh that can transfer the enchantment to a different weapon for 50gp. So if someone wanted he could buy the rapier from the group (paying everyone except Jason 60 gp) and pay 50 gp to transfer the enchantment to his weapon for a total cost of 350 gp. You guy can think about it and let me know.
Frank
user 8600072
Davisburg, MI
Post #: 185
Also I did a little research to clarify a few rules from last night.

You CANNOT move into a space occupied by a prone enemy. The enemy must be helpless or two size categories different than you to move into his space (in the size difference case you provoke AoO), not simply prone. You CAN move into a space occupied by a prone ally.

When prone you can shift one space before standing and not provoke any AoO. You can crawl up to half your speed while prone, but that does provoke AoO if you leave a threatened square.

With the Warden's class features, the Warden's Grasp (i.e. slide marked target if it makes an attack that doesn't incluude you) is an Immediate Reaction (not an Interrupt) so the enemy's attack would resolve first.
Doug W.
user 10846550
Franklin, MI
Post #: 47
I'll buy the rapier and have it's bonus transferred to my broadsword if no one objects. If anyone else wants it we can auction it next session. If nobody wants it, I will gladly take it and pay everybody what they're due.

at the game last night,
heck yeah, I'll be the first to announce we're there. If I had climbed up I would have dropped my breath to try and down at least three guys by the railings, lol. My dying words would have sounded like, " At least I have chicken"
A former member
Post #: 89
Wait... Not to bitch, but where did 7,000 gold come from as a total? 8 bundles, the two Magic Swords, and three Healing Potions came to 7,000 gold?

I'd like a quick run-down if I may of where the gold came from. Out of game wise... Yeah, the Dragon is def. worth something. In game wise... The Warforge asked each and every single person he came to if the Dragon is his. Everyone's response was Yes, declaring the new ownership. Off of that basis, if he sees everyone getting over a 1000 gold... He's gonna be pissed.

-J.
Frank
user 8600072
Davisburg, MI
Post #: 186
I did forget to mention in my post that the town paid the group 5,000 gp for the ship. That was the bulk of it.

That Pseudodragon is a very valuable pet. If this is going to cause a problem then we can assume that it just flys away.
Frank
user 8600072
Davisburg, MI
Post #: 187
I recalced the treasure assuming the Pseudodragon wasn't involved. In this scenario we have

-- Jason would get the +1 Longsword and 509 gp

-- The three that got the potions would get 1033 gp

-- The three that did not get potions would get 1083 gp

So do you think the 509 gp would be worth the value of the Pseudodragon (that's roughly the value of a 2nd level magic item)?

Note: I did fudge the total gp by adding 5 gp just to get even numbers.
David
user 10604704
San Diego, CA
Post #: 22
Nice session Frank. Overall recap I think the party started off a little rocky, but that was expected for the first session.

I dont know how many people were familiar with the bidding system for party loot. Last night I tried to give everybody a sense of how that worked. That is the way that i think distributing the loot will work best unless anyone has objections to that.

Without any sort of system on distributing the loot, the party would be total chaos with what is his and what is hers. Loot would be taken by force by the strongest among us and this would be a problem that would have to be dealt with. It was the first session so, I as the leader in the party didnt want to let that get out of hand.

For future sessions anyone going their seperate ways without the party will probably not be so lucky next time. Rule of thumb for adventuring is you almost never want to seperate from the party. The result could be that characters death or worse.

Nice party rewards by the way. The result from the quest seems fair enough given all that was said in the group at the end of our session. We all took our votes and everyone got what they voted on and gave up. Nice dragon by the way Jason and its probably worth more than another party member.