add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Ann Arbor Area RPG & D&D Group Message Board › New Guy Acclimatizing

New Guy Acclimatizing

A former member
Post #: 1
Hey everyone,

My name is Matt Miller.
As I said in greeting, I'm new to the area and looking to join some games. Preferably, I'd like to take on the role of a player since I've GMed for most of my natural life (at least it feels that way). Perhaps once I've grown comfortable around y'all I try my hand at GMing again.

As for specific RPGs... I am open to just about anything. I know D&D is the popular choice but I have other options and I'm not above letting a potential GM borrow a book for perusal. Not to say that I dislike D&D but it would be nice to break the mold. =)

I own hard copies of...
Heavy Gear 2nd Edition, Talislanta 4th Edition, Empire of Dust, S/lay w/Me, HackMaster Basic, Savage Worlds (+Hellfrost) and a plethora of PDFs.

Thanks for reading, all!
user 11461682
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 1

Welcome to the Area. As for your thoughts of mold-breaking--It's true, D&D is still the bedrock that the local community is built on. Though 4th edition and its malcontents have fractured the community, my experience has taught me that regardless of the system--PF, 3.5, or 4th...the song remains the same.

In our home campaign (which has some openings...) we're playing Pathfinder, with a back-to-basics approach, using the grid as little as possible and with the goal of getting a TV episode's worth of plot into each session (think Legend of the Seeker, Xena, Relic hunter, Firefly and other somewhat campy classics).

I for one have always loved other systems, and had a good Hackmaster 4E campaign going over the past few years, that awaits a restart/boot sometime this year. I've always wanted to do a Traveller universe, Firefly-inspired, game in GURPS, but the impetus from our group has evaded me. We've likewise played a few abortive campaign attempts at SWRPG, though I've never been the DM for those excursions.

Point being, our group thinks outside the box, and we've RP'd extensively in at least one other system (HM). If you think you'd want to throw dice with us, or just swap campaign thoughts, get in touch with me and we can grab a coffee with some of the other guys and get you up to speed. My email is The (dot) Justinian (at) gmail.

A former member
Post #: 5
Coolio. I'll send you an e-mail right away. =)