addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
scott
Palintear
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 27
I found a 3.5 DMs guide at a local hobby store
I payed $35
Do you think I got ripped or was it a steal?
A former member
Post #: 3
Guide?
Depends, you can get them alot cheaper on amazon/ebay ect. Heck if you can still take it back you are welcome to mine :P
Kelly
Naturalnut
Northville, MI
Post #: 42
They go from 10-30 bucks on ebay right now - but some of the other ones are more. Not a steal but not ripped off either. Amazon does not sell them anymore as they have been out of print for a couple of years - however they have sellers that do sell them from 17-35 bucks. So you paid on the high end of normal.

3.5 is a great system. I am not happy with 4e but some really love it. I hear pathfinder is great kind of a D&D 3.75 and fixes a lot of issues from 3.5. Pathfinder is a bit expensive too but it is currently in print and developing new books so that is a bonus.

scott
Palintear
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 28
Guide?
Depends, you can get them alot cheaper on amazon/ebay ect. Heck if you can still take it back you are welcome to mine :P
Steve
I took it back, they gave me my money back because I never opened the sealed packaging it came in.
so if you'd like to relinquish your 3.5 DMG I promise to make good use of it! I could use a players handbook also (Hint Hint)
scott
Palintear
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 29
They go from 10-30 bucks on ebay right now - but some of the other ones are more. Not a steal but not ripped off either. Amazon does not sell them anymore as they have been out of print for a couple of years - however they have sellers that do sell them from 17-35 bucks. So you paid on the high end of normal.

3.5 is a great system. I am not happy with 4e but some really love it. I hear pathfinder is great kind of a D&D 3.75 and fixes a lot of issues from 3.5. Pathfinder is a bit expensive too but it is currently in print and developing new books so that is a bonus.

Kelly
When I first decided to get back into DampD I just dove in not knowing a thing about the 4.0 version so I bought the books amp started to read, WHAT ...the hell did they do to this game. im finding it hard to read, learn amp understand 4.0
3.5 although extremely different then the original I think its an improvement, I dont know what 4.0 is.
Brian S.
Alberand
Garden City, MI
Post #: 193
3.x is a definite extension and refinement of the older editions. If those are what you are used to, it should be pretty familiar. Skills are new (versus weapon/non-weapon proficiencies), they did away with THAC0, and simplified saving throws quite a bit, but it still carried over a lot of the older themes and elements. I have come to dislike it because it involves too much book-keeping, too many restrictions, and too much stoppage of play to figure out exactly how things work in a very specific situation.

On the surface, 4.0 appears to be a very different system from those that came before. The d20 mechanic is pretty much the same, but some of the other key elements are significantly different. You get all of your racial and class "abilities" at 1st level, then gain powers as you progress, some of which are enhanced by your choice of class abilities. Everyone gains powers at about the same rate (psionic classes are slightly different), but each class still has a flavor and capabilities very much its own. Aside from that, it offers some real advantages over the older editions. It is much faster for new players to pick up without sacrificing much value-add complexity; the Vancian spellcasting system is gone so a 1st-level caster can contribute as much to the fourth fight in a day as the first; you can grapple without a rules compendium and jury of your peers tongue; and the classes and races are far more balanced than they have ever been before.

That all being said, it IS a very different system. It's a good one, but it's different, and you have to be open-minded to that if you want to play. If you prefer the old style, then 3.5 is still a damn good game.

Having done my editorializing for the day, you can probably have my 3.5 PHB, DMG, and Spell Compendium if my significant other does not object. I am an admittedly 4e fanboy and do not intend to run or play 3.5 again any time soon. However, I would recommend at least giving 4e a try at the table before you dismiss it completely. I run a game at the Meetup almost every month.

For inexpensive used materials, try GetYourGameOn at State and Packard in Ann Arbor. They have a sizable shelf of material from various older editions and other games. Not sure how their prices are, but I have recently seen 3e books and an original Keep on the Borderlands there.
A former member
Post #: 4
Hey np m8 will bring it in to the next meetup. I have a monster manual as well if i can find it. as a side note; i have 3.0 stuff as well.

scott
Palintear
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 30
"On the surface, 4.0 appears to be a very different system from those that came before."

Brian S

I shouldn't poo poo on 4.0 lets just say its not my cup of tea or better yet flavor of ice cream, some people like chocolate others vanilla, I like 3.5 ice cream but I wouldn't pass up a scoop of 4.0 if that's all you have in the freezer biggrin

see ya at the meetup

Scott
Brian S.
Alberand
Garden City, MI
Post #: 196
Ahh, if only everyone could be so open-minded. I certainly don't begrudge anyone else their flavor of ice cream. Mine's just better 'cuz it's served in a sugar cone with sprinkles. biggrin