align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Antisocialites: Unique people in their 20-30s Message Board › Anyone Interested in Taking Random Assortment of Dance Classes?

Anyone Interested in Taking Random Assortment of Dance Classes? (Tango, Swing, Salsa, Ballroom, Hip-Hop, etc.)

A former member
Post #: 1
This isn't really so much a "let's make a meetup" post as a "hey antisocialites, anyone want to go to some dance classes?" I like dancing, but I'm by no means an expert, and I want to take a bunch of beginner classes. Ex: Tango, Swing, Salsa, Ballroom, etc. I went to an Argentine Tango class tonight at ODC and it was depressing because I was one of 3 people there (but I realllly want to learn Tango). On the flip side, some mixed-level classes are intimidating because you're with a bunch of intermediates. Going with familiar faces makes it more relaxed, and you can practice outside of class too.

So...anyone want to dance? Most places are only like $13 per class.

One day I'll start a 20-30s non-clubbing dance meetup...but right now I'm too lazy smile
Jessica
user 7379005
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 8
Oooh ooh I'm all about hosting this. I do you have a specific venue you'd like to recommend? I used to Tango back in AZ but haven't looked into venues here yet.
A former member
Post #: 2
Oooh ooh I'm all about hosting this. I do you have a specific venue you'd like to recommend? I used to Tango back in AZ but haven't looked into venues here yet.

Yes!

The two Tango places that look promising besides ODC are Metronome SF and La Pista. I've only been to ODC, and I think it's a nice venue overall. I'd pick either ODC or Metronome (both in Mission/Potrero smile).

I also go to Dance Mission and CityDance, but only for Hip-Hop classes. They don't have Tango but they're probably good for Salsa.

Jenn
roseability
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 32
i have no dance experience, but a beginners i-have-no-idea-what-i'm-doing-and-that's­-okay class would be loads of fun. russell, are you taking alan's class at dance mission? i study taiko there, and his monday night class always seems like so much fun.
A former member
Post #: 4
i have no dance experience, but a beginners i-have-no-idea-what-i'm-doing-and-that's­-okay class would be loads of fun. russell, are you taking alan's class at dance mission? i study taiko there, and his monday night class always seems like so much fun.

I go to Alan's class every-so-often on Saturdays. His style is definitely a little more entertaining and in-your-face.

I'd love to do hip-hop as a meetup, but it's a lot more intimidating for beginners than the other styles, and I don't want to scare people away. Other than that, I think a class where most of us are beginners would be great.

How's Taiko? I've been somewhat interested in trying it for fun.
Jessica
user 7379005
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 9

I go to Alan's class every-so-often on Saturdays. His style is definitely a little more entertaining and in-your-face.

I'd love to do hip-hop as a meetup, but it's a lot more intimidating for beginners than the other styles, and I don't want to scare people away. Other than that, I think a class where most of us are beginners would be great.

How's Taiko? I've been somewhat interested in trying it for fun.

What would you guys think of a month-long series of dance class intros? Maybe tango one week, then salsa, then hip hop, then swing? Or maybe we should do 1x month?
A former member
Post #: 5
A month-long survey of classes sounds like a good plan for a larger group. I'd personally go every week, but I don't know what the interest-level is of the other 590 people here.
A former member
Post #: 13
i'm interested in learning argentine tango too. i went to glenn's monday beginner lesson at metronome and it was only 3 couples. i saw from the tango mango calendar there are many tango classes in SF so i'd like to check out other ones. i prefer the classes with practice or dance party afterwards. i also do lindy, salsa, wcs, blues, waltz... but i'm only in sf half the week and have a pretty busy schedule. :/ keep me in the loop!

mary
Jessica
user 7379005
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 10
OK, I am going to put this together for July/August :-) I'm thinking every other week will be better. Be on the lookout later this week!

A month-long survey of classes sounds like a good plan for a larger group. I'd personally go every week, but I don't know what the interest-level is of the other 590 people here.

Jessica
user 7379005
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 11
Oh also Russell I'll send you the dates/places I'm thinking to run them by you first, esp to make sure the tango date works for you since this was your good idea.