Re: [arthouse-133] Local coming attractions and a new Arthouse-DC blog (with upcoming events)!
Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:28 AM
I have only been to one of your events and it was fun. I wanted to know if you do any photography events?
From: Ronn <[address removed]>
To: [address removed]
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:23 AM
Subject: [arthouse-133] Local coming attractions and a new Arthouse-DC blog (with upcoming events)!
Some new good stuff to go over! There's a new BLOG associated with the Meetup now.
It used to be my own but it makes more sense to brand it with the Meetup. We have a COMMUNITY here now and this will help grow it. So if you have something you'd like to promote
, let me know and I will try to post it there
. I know we have artists and actors and film pr people and cinema owners and gallery operators so I think this will work. It is the ARTHOUSE-DC
blog and here is the link
. As an incentive to check it out, I posted a link there to a free film tomorrow night at E Street. Each day I will try to post an event or a film or play that I think is worth seeing or going to. So hopefully the events pile up into a type of calendar.
Here are a few more local arts tips and tidbits:
1. The outdoor exhibit at the Hirshhorn - Song 1 - is spectacular in my opinion.
It's a 360 degree projection video based on the song I Only Have Eyes for You. It runs every night, I believe, from sunset to midnight. We may try to do a Meetup. On Friday, May 11, there will be an outdoor concert there
with the video as part of their After Hours event ($25). I'm thinking that being outside may be just as good. Stay tuned.
2. The European Union Open House has put out a call for volunteers for their May 12 Embassy Open House. Orientation and training sessions will be held at the EU Delegation on Tuesday, May 1 at 12:30pm and 5:30pm. Volunteers receive an official EU Open House T-shirt and cap, and will be invited to an exclusive EU Open House party later in May. Sign up here.
3. Very nice Norma at Goethe Institute emailed to mention their great film series of German director Robert Thalheim coming up. He is one in a series of precocious young German filmmakers who have recently emerged to join the more familiar older names. His work is characterized by a careful eye and a keen sense of human interaction. And he will be there. Schedule: Tuesday, April 24, 6:30 pm - And Along Come Tourists (Am Ende kommen Touristen); Monday, April 30, 6:30 pm - Netto; Monday, May 7, 6:30 pm - Westwind (this one opened this year's Film Neu and was excellent).4. Our member Tatiana plays an instrument called "domra" (Russian style mandolin) with an orchestra of about 60 people called the American Balalaika Symphony. They are having a concert on
May 12 at 8pm in Alexandria. Here's the link.
5. The excellent West End Cinema is sponsoring a Special Event called the 10 Films That Changed America, a lecture by Yale and Johns Hopkins Professor Marc Lapadula. It's $35 and should be very worthwhile. Also check out what's coming there - an Asian Film Festival on May 3. Chico and Rita, and Boy are still playing there. Both are very good films.
6. We saw The Whipping Man at Theater J at DCJCC on Wednesday and it was excellent. Highly recommended. If you'd like to usher, email Erin at [address removed].
7. Monsieur Lazhar opens here Friday and looks like a wonderful film - nominated for an Academy Award from Canada.
8. Steve, a member of the group, is pushing his new website - SORTflix
: an Online Movie Discovery Engine For Cinephiles Around The World. Here's the link
Your comments on events and to me are always welcome. Just ALWAYS try be courteous to fellow members. I try my best with all this so please be patient and understanding. The only time you need to say you're NOT coming is when you change your RSVP from yes. And if you have a picture of yourself to post, it helps us recognize you when attending events.
Have a great rainy Sunday - it's a good excuse to see some culture!
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Ronn ([address removed]) from the ArtHouse.
To learn more about Ronn, visit his/her member profile
Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 | [address removed]