Art Openings Atlanta Message Board › Atlanta's Art Scene

Atlanta's Art Scene

A former member
Post #: 87
Atlanta has a thriving arts scene if you know where to look. There are a number of neighborhoods that are becoming increasingly important to the Atlanta visual arts scene. For reviews and a calendar of art events, go to ArtsAtl.

Please check the website of each neighborhood for art walk dates prior to making the drive -- some art walks are seasonal.

Castleberry Hill -- On 2nd Fridays, Castleberry Hill welcomes art afficionados to their art stroll. There are over a dozen galleries, restaurants and area businesses that participate. Castleberry is also home to FLUX, an annual event that features performance art, multimedia installations and photography throughout the neighborhood. Stop by Besharat Gallery, one of the area's crown jewels. Krause Gallery, Marcia Wood are all worth visiting.

Westside Arts District - The Westside received a writeup in the New York Times, and has "given rise to a sort of ad hoc group of contemporary art galleries that have styled themselves as a more intellectual alternative to the city’s designated downtown art district, Castleberry Hill." Cristina Caudill, associate director of Saltworks Gallery, told the Times, “We do our art walks on Saturday during the day because we don’t want to have that party atmosphere.” Don't miss the Westside Art Walk on the 3rd Saturday of each month, and be sure to stop by Octane Coffee for a cup of joe. Octane is a gathering spot for creatives, and hosts Atlanta Pecha Kucha, an informal forum for creative work encompassing a range of disciplines: advertising, architecture, art, fashion, food, graphics and media (digital, moving, mixed). The Westside is home to The Atlanta Contemporary Art Center, which frequently curates thought-provoking installations. The Contemporary also shows films, programs art lectures and panel discussions, and offers informative educational sessions for artists. They share the space with Atlanta Film Festival 365 (formerly IMAGE Film and Video Center), producer of the Atlanta Film Festival, held in April of each year. If you have any interest in Filmmaking, or just enjoy Independent Film, definitely check out what they're up to.

Buckhead -- Buckhead's galleries can be found from Bennett Street to Miami Circle. Must sees include Museum of Contemporary Art Georgia (MOCA GA), which is located on Bennett Street, an area with a wealth of artistic energy. At one end of Bennett Street is The Portfolio Center, a highly-regarded school for illustration, photography, art direction and more. Moving closer towards Peachtree is the Tula Arts Center, a complex which includes not only MOCA Ga, but a number of artist studios and galleries - not to mention the Atlanta Photography Group. The other area art district conducive to walking, sits along West Paces Ferry Road. There, you'll find Alan Avery Art Company, Anne Irwin Fine Art and several others. Go here for a complete guide to Buckhead art galleries.

Old Fourth Ward -- The Old 4th Ward has an emerging arts scene, that is home to Studioplex, a complex of artist lofts, designer studios, galleries and restaurants. At Studioplex, you'll find Janke Studios, Atlanta's premier glassblowing studio, Metro Gallery & Framing and Jack Art Gallery. In warm weather, Studioplex hosts an art stroll on the 4th Friday of each month.

Historic Roswell -- North of Atlanta, you'll find a number of galleries in Roswell, on either side of Canton Street, just south of Webb Street. Check out Ann Jackson Galleries, Ford Smith Gallery, Jill Saur Fine Art and KoKoSphere Fine Art. Roswell hosts Alive After Five, their art walk event on 3rd Thursdays.

Artist Communities -- Atlanta is home to several artist communities, which have their own Open Studio events. Don't miss The Goat Farm Arts Center. Also, Mattress Factory Open Studios, held twice each year, typically in November/December and April/May. Mattress Factory Studios is home to over a dozen artists. Eyedrum, located in the C4 Fuse Arts Center Eyedrum. There is also The Telephone Factory, which hosts an annual art show each December. The event draws a crowd of 3,000 over the course of two days. The B Complex, is an art cooperative located in Atlanta's Historic West End. Their events are well-attended and definitely worth checking out. Art Space International is another artist community that hosts regular art events for its participating artists.

Wait...There's more! The above is hardly comprehensive. Definitely check out The High Museum of Art, Oglethorpe University's Museum of Art, Marietta/Cobb Museum of Art, Emory's Michael C. Carlos Museum and The Atlanta Contemporary Art Center. The Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD-Atlanta) hosts regular art shows for its student artists. Of note - Vinings Gallery frequently brings in nationally-known artists, who will often do live charcoal or painting demos to the delight of their art opening attendees. Represented artists include Henry Asencio, Michael Flohr, Thomas Arvid and Jaline Pol. Atlanta Botanical Garden often features sculpture, glass and other artwork in their exhibits. They've featured work by Dale Chihuly, Henry Moore and Claude Monet. Atlanta Botanical Garden usually offers several classes applicable to artists. And speaking of classes, there's Callanwolde Fine Arts Center, Spruill Center for the Arts, Art School of Sandy Springs, Evening at Emory and Binders.

Like photography? Check out Atlanta Celebrates Photography!, held in October of each year.

For reviews and a calendar of art events, go to ArtsAtl.

You'll find more art galleries in Decatur/Oakhurst, Inman Park, Little Five Points, Candler Park and Cabbagetown.
A former member
Post #: 1
Thanks for the great info!!
Beth
A former member
Post #: 92
Beth, you're welcome. I'm glad you found it helpful!

Garrin

Thanks for the great info!!
Beth

Christen
user 4438436
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 4
Awesome Post Garrin! This is great information and it is so nice to have it all compiled in one place!

Thanks so much!!!

Christen
A former member
Post #: 94
No problem! I actually wanted to add more, but maxed out the post.

Awesome Post Garrin! This is great information and it is so nice to have it all compiled in one place!

Thanks so much!!!

Christen

Tony
user 11914660
Atlanta, GA
thank you! btw do you know if the Castleberry Hill Art walk starts earlier than 7? Unfortunately my job usually keeps me away from all the great stuff on the weekend and I start work at 7 so usually leaves me out of a lot of events. But really want to go to the art walk and if I can get in and out and to work by 7 it would be great! Thanks for all the great info!
A former member
Post #: 142
Here's the website for the Castleberry Hill Art Stroll - it starts at 7pm and runs until 10pm:
http://castleberryhil...­

-GH
A former member
Hey Garrin. Thank you for posting this great info!

Is the Castleberry Art Stroll going to have Meetup participation... as in, a group meeting somewhere to head out as a group?

Thanks!

Graham
A former member
Post #: 144
Hi Graham,

We've had several group events as part of the Castleberry Art Stroll, and we'll most definitely have more. While I would love to have the bandwidth to program four events a month on my own, I just can't do it without additional help. Both Elise & Christen have done a fantastic job organizing specific events. I would welcome you or anyone else who would like to proactively assist with programming. Please get in touch if you would like to help.

Garrin
Zanaah
user 8480591
Atlanta, GA
There is and Art opening in Inman Park area this Saturday August 27,2011 from 6 to 9 p.m. .
Located at Matia Gallery 655 Highland Ave ,Ste 4, Atlanta GA 30312 .
The Artists website is www.artbyibrahim.com if anyone is interested in taking a look at his work.