addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Philadelphia Atheists Meetup Message Board Philosophy and Critical Thinking › A theory I'd like to run by everyone for critique

A theory I'd like to run by everyone for critique

A former member
Post #: 3
As you all know one of the latest hot issues is Gay Marriage, needless to say the controversy has had me thinking
"Why are gays targeted for such hate". I pondered this idea for awhile and came up with an idea that would explain why.

Who are some of the most targeted people for un-warranted hate in the world?

Jewish People
African Americans
Homosexuals

What do they all have in common? At the time hate for these groups peaked they were always a small percentage of the population.

Mind you I cannot prove this, it is only a theory not fact. Hence why I'm posting to sort of get some input on this.
A former member
Post #: 580
Jason i appreciate your interest in the subject of hatred of minority groups.

Of the groups you mentioned Jews and gays are often targeted for negative treatment on the basis of religious ideas. Jews for not 'accepting' the divinity of Jesus or Mohammad. Gays because the bible and the Koran say that gay sexual activity is an abomination. In less religious countries you will generally find a lot less negative attitudes toward minority groups.

I really don't think the size of the minority group has much to do with negative treatment toward them.

I need to go to work now. I can respond in more detail later.

Best wishes and efforts, Scott(y)
A former member
Post #: 581
Jason,

On your question of the size of a group and attitudes towards that group, women have recieved some very unkind treatment throughout history.

In fact today in Saudi Arabia, "All women, regardless of age, are required to have a male guardian. Women cannot vote or be elected to high political positions ... Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world that prohibits women from driving ... It was the only country to score a zero in the category of political empowerment."
( http://en.wikipedia.o...­'s_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia )

I am fairly sure that women are about half the population in Saudi Arabia. So, inferior treatment of a group does not need to be connected to small numbers in the population.

I enjoyed thinking about your question, Jason.

A former member
Post #: 287
Jason and Scotty--I also wonder whether the eccentricity, ethnic/racial/religious idiosyncrasies, and powerlessness of a group has something to do with hatred. If a group is different as well as weak and vulnerable, then there are people in the dominant stronger group that will look down at them, possibly in an aggressive way either verbally or physically.
A former member
Post #: 584
I am glad to read from you John,

I think hate is a natural reaction to preceived threats. Regrettably, i need to go to work soon. So for now, i will leave it there.

Until later best wishes and efforts, Scott(y)
A former member
Post #: 588
John, i now have time to respond in more detail.

In my last post i said i think hate is a natural reaction to preceived threats. Some people do feel threatened by individual differences. They think everyone one should conform to a 'straight and narrow path.' I take a very different view, and appreciate and celebrate, individuality!

I will now confess that i am not hate free. In fact, I hate a lot things. At the top of my list are stupidity and inflexability. I also hate dogmatic, stupefying, and false religions ( i.e.: all major supernaturally-based religions).

However, my hate for religion, is more than compensated for by my love of, and devotion to, human progress.

A former member
Post #: 290
Scotty--If hate is a natural reaction to a perceived threat, I must ask what threat does a gay person pose to the homophobic person. What threat did the Jews pose to the NAZIs who hated them so much they threw them into ovens like throwing out the trash? I know I said earlier that eccentricities and idiosyncrasies and powerlessness played a role but I am beginning to wonder how valuable an idea that really is to our understanding of hate. Maybe hate that is most passionate has to be coupled with early childhood indoctrination. For example, the Bible indicates that gay is sinful, that Jews killed Christ, and that slaves deserve to be slaves but treated like decent slaves, and that whole populations of nonbelievers deserve to be wiped out with the sword. The Koran also has a ton of passages that will be the basis of hateful behavior: kill a gay person, kill an apostate, kill an adulteress, kill a blasphemer and kill people indiscriminately to change behavior of a hated group or government.

Hate can come from atheists but I believe that hate came from a different mind source like a drive for dictatorial control. Atheism per se has nothing in its philosophical perspective that would drive an atheist to immorality. That takes forces outside of the Atheist perspectives.
A former member
Post #: 591
Thanks for the reply John,

First, i need to admit that i am not a big fan of the term homophobia. I don't think most of the poor treatment of homosexuals is based on a fear of homosexuals. I think in a religious nation, like ours, lack of acceptance, and appreciation of, homosexuals is largly based on monothesistic religions' traditions of homosexual condemnation.

Next, the threat that Jews pose to the NAZIs, was a threat to their ideology of racial purity. The ideology articulated in Hitler's Mein Kampf ( http://en.wikipedia.o...­ ). The NAZIs were driven by a very hateful and very narrow ideology.

I think hatred of a group of people is irrational. However, hatred of tyranny, hypocracy, irrationality, and close-mindedness can be very helpful.

Janice R.
janicerael
Clayton, NJ
Post #: 410
Scotty--If hate is a natural reaction to a perceived threat, I must ask what threat does a gay person pose to the homophobic person.
The gay person might suddenly perform a sex act on the homophobe, who may accidentally enjoy it.
Kevin F.
user 87977142
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
The two biggest reasons, that I can see, for this type of hatred are fear of the unknown and religion. I think fear can be dealt with by rational conversation. But once religion has a foot hold in persons mind rational conversation is not an option. And without rational conversation there is nowhere to go.