Philadelphia Atheists Meetup Message Board Atheism › A New Study on the Types of Atheists

A New Study on the Types of Atheists

A former member
Post #: 968
I want to share a very interesting article on the subject of this Discussion --> http://religion.blogs...­ . I have just started to look at the article. It seems quite interesting.

I hope you like(d) it.

Best wishes, efforts, and thanks, Scott(y)
Dhivya
user 19639861
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
Thank you for the post. The comments in the article was very interesting to read.
Janice R.
janicerael
Clayton, NJ
Post #: 535
I'm kind of a "ritual atheist" and a little bit of an "activist atheist," although my activism is limited strictly to nurturing nontheist community, and has nothing to do with "promoting atheism/Humanism"outside of the circle of those who already disbelieve, or are seeking answers.

Someone who used to be in this group once called me an "atheist mystic" because I had such a great experience at a kirtan. A kirtan is call-and-respond chant based in ancient Hindu tradition. I found it to be meditative and beautiful, but I don't believe in Krishna (or any other deity).

I've also been called an "accommodationist" for not being vocally opposed to religion, but that term is generally used as a slur by anti-theists towards those who disagree on confronting people of faith.

I think the article is correct about how in 30 years, there may be 30 different types of atheists. The only thing we all really have in common is an absence of belief in the existence of deities, no matter how we express this disbelief (or not).

CNN left one kind of atheist out: the apatheist, or one who does not care if there is a god, and has apathy towards the entire notion of gods and atheism.
A former member
Post #: 998
Thanks for the replies Dhivya and Janice,

Like Dhivya, i also enjoyed the comments in the link at the beginning of this discussion.

Like Janice and many of the people who left comments, I think more than one of the types applies to me. I can be quite the energized activist at times. At other times, other types fit my approach or focus.

I am glad that you both got something out of the article.

Best wishes, efforts, and thanks, Scott(y)