align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Philadelphia Atheists Meetup Message Board Philosophy and Critical Thinking › The Frame Problem (cool site)

The Frame Problem (cool site)

stripey7
user 3095185
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 51
I discovered a pretty cool-looking site the other day. Called The Frame Problem, it concerns the "intersections of cognition, politics, and religion." I'm hopeful that it will lead me to many possible discussion materials for my study group on Psychology and Social Change.

Eric Hamell
George
george05
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 131
Are you referering to the blog, theframeproblem.wordpress.com­?

There is also an article by that title on the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy site.
stripey7
user 3095185
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 52
Yes, that's the one. I've subsequently discovered another Web resource, the Rockridge Institute, that's dedicated to explaining the implications of cognitive science for progressive activists. Fits right in with my study group's objective, and it provides a list of promising-looking books.

Eric

Are you referering to the blog, theframeproblem.wordpress.com­?

There is also an article by that title on the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy site.

George
george05
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 132
I'm glad you brought up this topic. I was reading some articles on the Rockridge Institute a few weeks ago. I think that George Lakoff's ideas are vitally important.

Here's an introductory article on Frames and Framing:

Expressing progressive political ideas and values effectively begins with understanding frames. Frames are the mental structures that allow human beings to understand reality ? and sometimes to create what we take to be reality. Contemporary research on the brain and the mind has shown that most thought - most of what the brain does - is below the level of consciousness, and these unconscious thoughts frame conscious thought in ways that are not obvious.

________
George
george05
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 136
Good news: George Lakoff will be speaking at the Free Library on Tuesday, June 17th.

George Lakoff - The Political Mind: Why You Can't Understand 21st-Century American Politics with an 18th-Century Brain