addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 2
Seven billion people in the world.
Seven billion views of the world.
Everyone have their own view of the world and everything in it. No one have the right to tell someone......"Hey!!...yea you! You can only see things as I see it and if you dont, you are WRONG!!!" (just wanted to add some humor.) feel free to tell me what you think.
A former member
Post #: 37
I like your post Jamar, Most religions are based on saying they have the correct way to view the world. If you agree with seeing the world the way they want you to, you will be rewarded (with heaven or other positive out-comes). If you don't agree with them, or believe them, you will be punished (with hell or other harmful out-comes). Non-religion is a way to mental freedom. Best, Scotty
A former member
Post #: 5
I like your post Jamar, Most religions are based on saying they have the correct way to view the world. If you agree with seeing the world the way they want you to, you will be rewarded (with heaven or other positive out-comes). If you don't agree with them, or believe them, you will be punished (with hell or other harmful out-comes). Non-religion is a way to mental freedom. Best, Scotty
You said it better Scotty!
Anne H.
thebat137
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 54
I'd certainly agree that nobody ought to expect others to accept their worldview just on their say-so, but I do think it's important to emphasize that evidence and logic have some bearing on the issue. I don't feel much in the way of compunctions about telling the flat-earthers and the creationists and so forth that what they believe is just plain wrong and that they oughta get right with the facts, for example.

Of course, in principle it's possible that they're right for some very convoluted reason (maybe fossils really *were* just planted by the devil to trick us), but it's so unlikely as to not deserve much in the way of respect. As human beings, they're free to believe what they like, but what they believe is dumb and harmful to the world and they really oughta stop. It's not just another way of looking at the world.
A former member
Post #: 7
I'd certainly agree that nobody ought to expect others to accept their worldview just on their say-so, but I do think it's important to emphasize that evidence and logic have some bearing on the issue. I don't feel much in the way of compunctions about telling the flat-earthers and the creationists and so forth that what they believe is just plain wrong and that they oughta get right with the facts, for example.

Of course, in principle it's possible that they're right for some very convoluted reason (maybe fossils really *were* just planted by the devil to trick us), but it's so unlikely as to not deserve much in the way of respect. As human beings, they're free to believe what they like, but what they believe is dumb and harmful to the world and they really oughta stop. It's not just another way of looking at the world.
You are right. Everyone have the right to free thought, but when your view of the world endangers those in it, then I also have to say it's dumb. I often feel like a hypocrite, because I teach my 5 year old daughter that there is a god who is in control of all things. I don't want her to experience the cruelty the other 90% of the world have to offer.

Is there a word for someone who hates people of other faiths?
A former member
Post #: 42
Jamar, i hope you will tell your daughter, at some point, that you don't really think there is a god. I think she will be better off knowing the truth. I really don't think that 90% of the world is cruel. In fact i get a lot of respect from the other 90%. I am very open about my non-belief. Just yesterday, I was reading, and writing in, my book "The NEW Atheism", on a bus. A guy in a muslim looking beard asked whether i was an atheist. I told him yes, i am an atheist. He asked me whether i thought death was the real end. I told him that if there is a heaven, i want a guided tour, before i am going to believe it. Yes, i think nothing happens for us after we are dead. But, i don't know, what happens when i die. i have not been dead yet. And, noone knows what happens when we die, noone has been really dead yet.

Anyway, i like being open. People do not directly disrespect my openness. But, openness does take courage, and a willingness to try to understand, and appreciate, the perspectives of others.

I surely do not hate people, because they are a person of a particular faith. I hate the faiths, not the faithful. It can be very difficult to choose reason, and reality, over magical faith. But, i think most people are better off when they choose reality, and real action, over institutionalized magical faith. Best, Scott(y)
A former member
Post #: 62
Cannot agree with you more Scotty. There have been no postmortem experiences of the presence of God. Your perspective seems impartial and rational. Thanks for the touch of humor.