addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

New York City Atheists Meetings Message Board › Bill O'Reilly Interviews Dave Silverman

Bill O'Reilly Interviews Dave Silverman

Bill
user 2341848
New York, NY
Post #: 137
I watched Bill O'Reilly interview Dave Silverman (president of AA) on Fox News last night (Jan 4).

The topic was a billboard that AA has put up in Alabama, with pictures of houses of worship of 5 major religions saying "You know they're all scams".

O'Reilly did pretty well. He started out with "Why the Insult?". Silverman maintained that the billboard was not insulting, which a ridiculous claim. Of course it's an insult to anyone who takes their religion seriously. O'Reilly maintained that the billboard was insulting to 80% of the population.

I think our message is inherently insulting to most people. But we should still make our point. Saying that we are not insulting anyone is lying, and O'Reilly made Silverman look pretty stupid for that reason. The tack Silverman took gave O'Reilly a great chance to keep the conversation on the topic of whether the message was insulting and away from the topic of whether it was true, or whether the point should be made regardless of whether it's insulting.

Bill O'Reilly is no slouch. He should not be underestimated.

I'm not impressed with Silverman, either with this interview or the wisdom of the anti-Xmas billboard in NJ. To most secular people from Christian families, Christmas is fun even though they know it's all bullshit. I saw Silverman do an interview with someone else on Fox News about the NJ billboard, and the guy debating him had a field day telling him he should "get over it" and "seek professional help".

-- Bill