align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Las Vegas Atheists Message Board Las Vegas Atheists Discussion Forum › A little more militancy please!

A little more militancy please!

Will B
user 109536462
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 1
I recently had the opportunity to help out a couple that had a dead or drained battery jump start their car. After the car had started and ran for minute, both said almost simultaneously, “god bless you”.

At that moment a word came to mind,“presumptuous!”.

The couple was then upset by my comment “A god had nothing to do with my helping you. A Thank You would have been preferred.”.

The word presumptuous stuck with me.

From the Merriam Webster Dictionary:

presumptuous

Too confident especially in a way that is rude.
Done or made without permission, right, or good reason.
Overstepping due bounds (as of propriety or courtesy), taking liberties.

My feeling about the matter was the couple was rude, and presumed that I would care about their religious incantation. Is that even a Thank You??

This episode reminded me of my recent trip. Over a five day road trip, I stayed in three motels and confiscated three bibles and two books of mormon. Each was soaked in water over night, disassembled, wrapped in a black plastic bag, and dumped in a dumpster.

My opinion is that religious organizations, in collusion with the hotel industry, are making the presumption that they have a right to bombard travelers with their ideology.

I propose that all hotel and motel rooms be nonsecular and no religious material be in the room.

How to make this happen? Make it a protest movement.

I request that all atheists remove, destroy, and dispose of any religious materials in hotel rooms they stay in.

Like any protest movement, it will start small, but can grow rapidly by word of mouth. Make it obvious that a significant portion of the hotels customers do not want religious materials in their room.

As a movement, Atheist need a little more militancy, please.
Doug
DougN666
Henderson, NV
Post #: 221
Can you please explain how providing evidence to anybody who does not think like you do, that atheists are no more than common thieves / vandals makes the world a better place? And please do not use some kind of formalistic legalistic mumbo jumbo about how these bibles are given away, or are free for people staying there to use as they see fit etc. All you will be doing is preaching to the choir.

I see you as the intellectual equivelant of the current crop of Christian conservative republicans who want to enact their version of Sharia Law in the US. I may be wrong, but that is How I see you, and I suspect many others will also.
Roger T
user 10230035
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 670

My feeling about the matter was the couple was rude, and presumed that I would care about their religious incantation. Is that even a Thank You??
Yes, it is, expressed in their particular idiom. You had been nice, hey were being nice, and keeping things nice seems to me to be a good thing.

This episode reminded me of my recent trip. Over a five day road trip, I stayed in three motels and confiscated three bibles and two books of mormon. Each was soaked in water over night, disassembled, wrapped in a black plastic bag, and dumped in a dumpster.
And I am sure it made you feel good about yourself.

A word for that comes to mind:

presumptuous

Too confident especially in a way that is rude.
Done or made without permission, right, or good reason.
Overstepping due bounds (as of propriety or courtesy), taking liberties.

My opinion is that religious organizations, in collusion with the hotel industry, are making the presumption that they have a right to bombard travelers with their ideology.
I travel a lot. Stay in hotels a lot. My opinion is that a Bible, placed in a drawer I am unlikely to open, and can close immediately if I do open it, does not "bombard" me with ideology.

I propose that all hotel and motel rooms be nonsecular and no religious material be in the room.
Yeah, well, good luck with that.

I request that all atheists remove, destroy, and dispose of any religious materials in hotel rooms they stay in.
At present, atheists are the most hated, least trusted minority in America. I expect your proposal will go a long way towards fixing that, right?

Like any protest movement, it will start small, but can grow rapidly by word of mouth. Make it obvious that a significant portion of the hotels customers do not want religious materials in their room.
And what percentage is that? Some proportion of atheists, who number less than 2% of the population? As compared to the Christians, who exceed 80% of the population? Yeah, I'm sure your protest will have the hotel industry quaking in their boots over the prospect of causing some mild and brief annoyance to such a significant portion of its customers.