Las Vegas Atheists Message Board Las Vegas Atheists Discussion Forum › The new meetup idea re think groups

The new meetup idea re think groups

A former member
Post #: 11
I think that a think group is a great idea. I am one of those that would rather think than die, as opposed to those who would rather die than think (Thanks Ayn Rand). I suggest that the think meetups have a specific topic represented by a book, movie, online article, or anything that the members that intend to go to the think meetup may reference before the meetup so as to be prepared to contribute and/or exchange. But even that level of preparation is not really necessary. The only thing our members need bring to this type of meetup is an open mind. This should be easy for our membership.
A former member
Post #: 16

I can agree that 'people need to be systematically better prepared.' On the topic of 'who's willing to teach classes, workshop, or lead a group discussion?' I ask of everyone, what specific topics are you knowledgeable enough about to adequately educate others on... and more importantly, are you willing to personally present your insights to a group?
A former member
Post #: 13
Hi Cesar, I'm willing to be a presenter, but only as a discussion leader. Despite my long experience with things religious, I don't qualify as an expert in anything, except perhaps seeing things as they are, and not as many religious zealots say (incorrectly and destructively) they are or should be.

My approach would be to pick a topic of interest, as you suggest, by a membership vote, and research the internet to find articles that deal with the topic and make the location of said articles available well before the meetup so that those who wish to get the benefit of the articles could do so. I would ask when a member indicates an interest in attending, that optionally, they provide relevant urls of interest, if they have any. I think that this is the best way to ensure a well informed and beneficial discussion. But as I said in my previous e-mail, the only real requirement is to come to the meetup with an open mind.

A topic that comes to mind is the question that I posed for Dr. Ray, i.e. what can we do to change things.

As a more specific topic, dealing with the so-called proofs of gods existence and the refutations of said proofs, so that our membership is well equipped to deal with the zealots rantings. I suggest this topic since "proofs of gods existence" seems to be rearing its ugly head recently.

The idea of a proof of god has always been baffling to me since most zealots when pushed to the wall by having all their ideas shown to be false and destructive cling to the thought ("Well, I still have my faith."). If faith is all that is needed, then of what need are proofs, and if there are proofs, what need is there for faith.

Incidentally, I read somewhere (was it here at LVA ?) that the winning slogan for a t-shirt was
"Faith is not a Reason". I wish that I had submitted my idea (although my satirical slogan is not as good as the winner, I might have gotten an honorable mention). To wit, "All Atheists go to Heaven".
Chuck C
user 8225966
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 88
I've been following the suggestions for ideas and they're all good!

Here's an idea: Let's find someone in our atheist community and run him/her for local public office. This would involve putting together a campaign, something most of us know little about (probably). That would make it all the more fun!

What do you think?
A former member
Post #: 17

More important than expertise is the will to put in the time and effort to research and prepare a presentation; not to mention the all common fear of public speaking. As of today I see 17 members that like the idea of think groups, but only 2, the poster and you, who've expressed interest in carrying it forward. Like many great an idea this might die if no one's willing to put themselves out there. Refuting proofs of god's existence would be a great initial topic, too often one see's groups of people gathered around zealots on bullhorns unprepared or unwilling to confront them. Interesting note on proofs, during Mondays presentation Mr. Beckwith asserted that theology does count as knowledge, thus christians should not be afraid to use theological arguments.
Roger T
user 10230035
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 123
I've been following the suggestions for ideas and they're all good!

Here's an idea: Let's find someone in our atheist community and run him/her for local public office. This would involve putting together a campaign, something most of us know little about (probably). That would make it all the more fun!

What do you think?
I have a degree in Political Science and have been a campaign manager for a state representative. I wouldn't like to run for office, but I could help with the campaign.
JD
JD_M
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 45
RE: "Thinking Study" Idea suggestion follow-up
atheists.meetup.com/30/ideas/160566­

I'm following-up and seeing what I can do to move things forward. I'm not sure what I can do next. It seems my only options right now are limited to posting "Ideas" and responding to "Message Board" discussions. This topic did get added to Message Board, but then veered off to running for political office.

SUGGESTED NEXT STEPS:
A) Create meetup event, or even a series of meetups. I am not an "Asst. Organizer" or part of the "Leadership Team" so someone will need to set up an the event(s)
B) Decide on topic or topics

Identify Willing Presenters/Leaders:
A) I'm sure there are many inside and outside the group that would be willing - speak-up please) to present/lead.
B) Jack Howard said "I'm willing to be a presenter"
C) I (JD) am open to presenting/leading.

Examples Topics:
The Top 20 Fallacies - Learning, Preventing and Effectively Exposing

Effective Techniques to Help People Think Better (and Expose People's Poor Thinking... including our own!)

"Refuting proofs of god's existence" suggested by Cesar Valdez

Effective Strategies to Influence and Change People's Thinking

Example Location Options: Based on my 5 months in Vegas my guess is central would be best followed by NW or SE, then SW and last NE. Jason's Deli, Whole Foods (Town Center, Summerlin, Henderson)(a wide variety for the healthy and crap food eaters) my home (near Blue Diamond and Durango)(good for small and large groups and I have a 10' movie screen w/ projector)... ??
JD
JD_M
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 135
FYI: In case you do not receive the meetup email notices. This "Idea" is now a meetup!

Thinking Study (classes, workshops, group, discussion...)
lasvegasatheists.org/calendar/14817817­