align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Memphis Atheists Message Board › Anniversary Party

Anniversary Party

A former member
Post #: 56
I am opening up a thread for discussion of this subject and up coming meetup. If anyone has ideas, or suggestions, please post them! We'd love to hear what everyone else would like to do!
Jason
Jason8usmc
Group Organizer
Memphis, TN
Post #: 6
I have to admit I like the costume idea. It sounds fun.
A former member
Post #: 57
Thank you for starting this Jason!

Okay some ideas that were suggested (By Shuh) were to do an "Atheist Invade Downtown or Cooper-Young" We want to be able to park and not have to move our cars, if we did Cooper-Young, we'd need to do something in the heart of the area like Young Ave Deli, Cafe Ole, Celtic Crossing, Beauty Shop. I doubt Do would be able to handle a large group like this, but maybe? If we did downtown we could do a South Main tour or Beale St, whatever. I think more people would prefer the less touristy side of Cooper-Young.

I'm going to throw in my vote for Young Ave Deli. The food is good and cheap. They have a large variety of beer on tap. Pool tables and a juke box. It's large space would allow us breathing room. Bands don't usually start up until after 9 or 10. Then we're within walking distance to Celctic Crossing, the bar next to Sweet Grass, and all the other restaurants have bars.....

Keep throwing out ideas!
Liz H
user 7076452
Memphis, TN
Post #: 13
I think you should just make executive decisions for us and tell us when to show up and where. LOL I feel like being a follower today ;)
A former member
Post #: 2
The ideas suggested by Shuh and Emily I think would be the smartest idea--we would have the opportunity to meet and hang out for dinner, then do something else fun without having to go somewhere else. As much as I love Beale, I'm not big on the partying kids that come out on Saturday nights (yeah, yeah, I'm an old man--get off my lawn!). Anyway, of the suggestions Cooper Young sounds like the best bet to me. I don't really know of any other areas of the city that will provide that much diversity in bars/music venues within easy walking distance.

As for dinner, Jasmine is my favorite place in Cooper Young, but it's pretty small and if we have more than 10 people wanting to show up (which I would hope we do!) it's definitely not going to work. Young Avenue Deli and Cafe Ole would be my second two choices for dinner, with Young Avenue Deli being my favorite of the two.
A former member
Post #: 19
I like Young Avenue Deli, Celtic Crossing, and the fact that there are plenty of good bars within stumbling distance. Do it. Do it!
A former member
Post #: 8
Greg — A big NO to Cafe Ole. I almost ate there a year ago — and I say "almost" because I noticed the dead cockroach in my food. Thankfully the manager comped my drinks and I gtf out of there. But I digress..
A former member
Post #: 9
As far as the Midtown option, how about Sweet Grass? It would make for a special night. But it's difficult to get a reservation.

And I don't want to rule out Do Sushi — I'll call them tomorrow and check what the largest reservation size can be. I've eaten there and it is such a fantastic delectable little place.

I'm not enthusiastic about dinner at Young Ave Deli — I would imagine that being a place to hit up for drinks After dinner.

There's also Sekisui Midtown which is pretty awesome. They can handle large groups. After-dinner drinks could be at Boscos, in this case.