Memphis Atheists Message Board › Are there any atheists here that don't do drugs or drink?

Are there any atheists here that don't do drugs or drink?

A former member
Post #: 1
Just curious I guess. I don't do either cool
A former member
Post #: 6
I don't do drugs or drink either... but I could get into wild wanton sex. Does that count??
Clayton R.
user 12073660
Memphis, TN
It's probably a short list, but yeah - I don't do either. Not that I'm opposed to them, I just can't stand the taste of alcohol and am too boring to do drugs.
A former member
I only drink during the human sacrifice rituals. Does that count?
Jason
Jason8usmc
Memphis, TN
Post #: 8
I don't do drugs or drink either... but I could get into wild wanton sex. Does that count??

Seriously?
A former member
Post #: 2
It's probably a short list, but yeah - I don't do either. Not that I'm opposed to them, I just can't stand the taste of alcohol and am too boring to do drugs.

lol same here. And I don't even like feeling affected by caffeine @_@
A former member
No Drugs for me, not ever. I don't even take tylenol. But I should probably think about going to an AA meeting...lol Just kidding, (they don't serve alcohol there).
A former member
I don't do either. Just don't feel the need. Looks like we are a very well behaved bunch of atheists. smile
A former member
This issue of drugs and alcohol can be viewed as an infringement on ability to reason, think rationally and make informed decisions. In one allows that free will is a myth (or seriously compromised by genetics and environment) than eschewing addictive behaviors or substances is a good, secular strategy. In fact, I believe that two secular goals or objectives are combating 1) Mind Control and 2) Addictive Behaviors. If we already work under the assumption that we are highly complex machines, then managing as many variables as possible, is a sound strategy. Driving while drunk is not. Gambling your rent money is not. Hoarding useless things is not. The science of addiction is complex, but any addiction, physical or mental can essentially rob us what little free will we imagine we have. With that being said, mankind for tens of thousands of years, has enjoyed an "alternate state of conscious" both across societies, time and geography. So, sometime we need to escape. The danger is when the alcohol, drug or behavior controls us and is detrimental to our well-being.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
A former member
Post #: 3
Atheists are people who are a-theist. We live without a god or gods. We don't live without morals. To assume that an atheist will 'naturally' be inclined toward such activities - or any activities - in excess or without thought for others is a not only a common misconception of what an atheist 'is', but it is an attitude that is fostered by many religious groups to keep their own people in line: "Without God you will be a horrible person." Atheists drink. They don't drink. They do drugs. They don't do drugs. They assume moral and intellectual superiority. And other atheists don't. I assume in the same proporations as religious people do those things. If your question is, do atheists live their lives differently from theists, I don't know. My personal bias is to say no, not differently in the aggregate. Perhaps we do so with less general fear and more 'each to his own' attitude. I do think that it would be an interesting study, though. How do atheists live differently than theists? Is there a quantifiable difference in the aggregate?