Memphis Atheists Message Board › Memphis Atheists on Facebook

Memphis Atheists on Facebook

Liz H
user 7076452
Group Organizer
Memphis, TN
I created a page for our group on FB, in addition to the group that already exists. When you "like" the page, status updates from the page will appear in your home feed. I plan to post events on FB with links to the meetup site. Please, everyone on FB, "like" our new page! :o)

http://www.facebook.c...­
A former member
Post #: 1
I wish I could, but I think my family would disown me. I know most of them would stop talking to me.
A former member
Post #: 3
I wish I could, but I think my family would disown me. I know most of them would stop talking to me.

I'm in the same boat, Bobby... and I'm 58!!
A former member
I don't FB, but I would friend it or like it or whatever if I did. You guys might be surprised by some family members responses, some of them might admit their disbelief if they feel safe with you. Don't hide your lack of superstition, it's the superstitious who should be ashamed and embarrassed to fall for that "god" nonsense. Being an Atheist is something to be proud of ,it means you're not a gullible simpleton ( in one respect at least).
A former member
Wow!
They'd actually disown you 'coz you don't believe in their imaginary skydaddy??!!

I didnt know being an atheist was such a big deal here in Memphis.
Liz H
user 7076452
Group Organizer
Memphis, TN
Post #: 9
I'm loud and proud too!!
A former member
Post #: 2
Telling my family I am atheist is a like a gay kid coming out of the closet to his all-American, Jesus loving dad.
A former member
Post #: 53
Telling my family I am atheist is a like a gay kid coming out of the closet to his all-American, Jesus loving dad.

I know the feeling!!!!!!
A former member
Post #: 162
Srinath, yes it can be. It depends on the family.

Felix is right. Don't let anyone make you feel ashamed of non belief. We haven't done anything wrong! (and if you have, it's probably within a normal range of so called 'wrong doing.')

Personally, I've found a lot encouragement from hanging around other atheists. It helps to get through the moments when religious folks are particular obnoxious. This can be exacerbated if you are in a position where you can say anything, family gatherings, work, etc. I often imagine what my atheist friends would say. It helps to have a little support. wink
A former member
Post #: 3
I think the thing is I love them more than telling them about my non religious beliefs.