addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Connecticut Valley Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Your Favorite Atheist Quote

Your Favorite Atheist Quote

picco
Avon, CT
Post #: 14
What is your favorite quote about atheism or atheists?

Let me kick it off by giving the definition of Faith from Ambrose Bierce delightful The Devil's Dictionary.

FAITH, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. – Ambrose Bierce
A former member
Post #: 231
"In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see. When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind, old men as guides."

-- Heinrich Heine
picco
Avon, CT
Post #: 16
I used to love Heine's poems.
Gregory W. L.
user 7033119
Southington, CT
Post #: 25
If God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then hs is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God.

Epicurus
picco
Avon, CT
Post #: 22
If God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then hs is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God.

Epicurus
Gregory, that's a good one. Theists have been trying to argue away all the inherent paradoxes of omnipotence and evil forever, coming up with all sorts of convoluted reasoning to obfuscate the issue. But the simplest explanation is to deny the premise that there is a God.
raymond h.
user 9855848
Coventry, CT
Post #: 1
I know i'm very late to the party in this discussion but I do have a good quote that this quote reminded me of. It's actually something I said one night when I was visiting my wife at work who is an oncology(cancer) nurse at ST. Francis Hospital. After I sat with her in the break room for a few minutes I was walking down the hallway to the elevators and i caught a glimpse of a few very young patients in their rooms who were obviously suffering. While I was waiting for the elevator I stared at a statue of Jesus that was there and I said out loud, "If you can do ANYTHING, why do you choose to do NOTHING?"

That was my last night as a christian.
Jim
NeronCaesar
South Windsor, CT
Post #: 1
Religion's "...single function is to give man access to the powers which seem to control his destiny, and its single purpose is to induce those powers to be freindly to him."

H.L. Mencken, Treatise on the Gods