addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Connecticut Valley Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Article: A Pragmatist and a Lobbyist on Atheism

Article: A Pragmatist and a Lobbyist on Atheism

picco
Avon, CT
Post #: 19
A Pragmatist and a Lobbyist on Atheism

Some excerpts:

“It’s not like I’m coming from Save the Children or something everybody’s in favor of,” Ms. Lange, 32, put it in an interview. “When you say you’re an atheist, people think of negative values, of heathens. People feel that we’re antireligious. I’m not trying to change anyone’s religion. I don’t even want to talk religion or the Bible when I’m lobbying. I want to stay focused on state policy and finding the places we can make common cause.”

I find this quote especially pertinent:

“We were looking for examples of how a significant minority can mobilize their people and their friends and their families to achieve influence,” said Matt Cherry, executive director of the institute. “There’s been a tendency for atheists to use only the politics of protest — to be on the sidelines with all your purity — but not to roll up your sleeves.”

Let's mobilize. Get your friends to join CVA and the CVA Meetup.
picco
Avon, CT
Post #: 24
And now also: Empanda Foundation Meetup.

Let's change the perception by doing positive, constructive things!