Re: [atheists-8] Christian Fundamentalism & The Current State of the Union?

From: user 6.
Sent on: Sunday, October 19, 2008 11:09 PM
I don't understand why you ignore the primary reason of my first two replies.  Instead, you only focused on my criticism of your spelling and grammar abilities.  It seems obvious to me that the main message of my replies was that your generalizations lacked evidence--evidence you continually fail to present.  Your only evidence is anecdotal evidence--"anecdata"--which is logically unsound.  Consider anyone who uses only their personal experience to validate their beliefs and opinions of others.  It would be more advantageous to your argument to present verifiable facts instead of stories about your life. 

Again, I think that is one of the most important shared ideas (and very few) of the majority of atheists.  It's critical that one back their claim with facts that can be proven.  Your limited experience (as a person who has directly worked with less than 1% of doctors worldwide) simply isn't a satisfactory or convincing argument.  As the people who responded to Jim's first post, I am responding to some of your generalizations.  To a lot of people, I think, it is important to recognize and criticize inaccurate statements.

I also agree with you, Joy, that people can have good ideas and not express them well and others can use convincing rhetoric without much substance to back it up.  I would place more of an emphasis on the "good ideas" and work on the technicalities later.  But when there are both underdeveloped ideas and incompetent expression, I take issue.  I'm not sure what the problem is in pointing that out.

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 8:12 AM, Cameron <[address removed]> wrote:
How profound. That was deep. What can I say, my Iphone doesn't have spellcheck. Of course you probably don't need spellcheck, I'm sure you know how to spell all of those 2 dollar words. 

Cameron 
(512)[masked]
[address removed]


On Oct 19, 2008, at 12:17 AM, Marissa <[address removed]> wrote:

I wasn't even counting your incorrect use of 'your' and misspelling of 'evidance', not even when you misquote your "deliberate misspelling" in your first reply.  It wouldn't matter to me usually, but it makes you look doubly unintelligent when you take a group of people whose moral behavior can't be generalized--doctors--and not only try to assert that they all act according to some arbitrary standard of behavior (which you alone decided without presenting any evidence), but you can't even express yourself accurately.   To me, your inattention to spelling and grammar only emphasizes your lazy thinking. 

And it's "atheist". 

Remember the "burden of proof" idea should extend to all logical ideas and allowing excessive emotion or former slights enter your analysis tend cloud your judgment.

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Cameron <[address removed]> wrote:
Wow, so much for calling athiests brights. It was a play on words. Hypocritical and hippocratic = hipocratical.  How was my grammar, punctuation, and spelling?  

Cameron 
[address removed]


On Oct 18, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Marissa <[address removed]> wrote:

It's the Hippocratic oath.  If you're going to make insulting generalizations about a diverse, multi-faceted group of people you might as well get the spelling right when you're doing it.
On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 1:53 AM, Cameron <[address removed]> wrote:
Oh, I see, your a doctor then?  Just more ammo for my arsenal of evidance confirming just how disconnected docs are from those working in allied and nursing. Sure you guys will say whatever you think someone wants to hear. After all, that's how best to milk every last buck. Way to uphold the hypocratical oath.

Cameron
[address removed]


On Oct 18, 2008, at 1:42 AM, Cameron  <[address removed]> wrote:

Do you (C.J.) actually work in health care, or does merely knowing docs make you an expert on the subject of religions influence in healthcare?

Cameron
[address removed]


On Oct 15, 2008, at 12:00 PM, "C.J." <[address removed]> wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it (religious affiliated hospitals); I have a couple
of friends who are doctors at St. David's and they are not religious. It
doesn't seem to play any role in decision making at ground level...
occasionally some doctor's may use religion when talking to a relative about
someone who's just passed, i.e. "He/She is in a better place now, but
sometimes even non-religious doctors do this if they think it will make
things hurt less...  I've said it when I knew the person I was talking too
believed...

I doubt it really effects the quality of care you get in Austin though.

Now would I go to a Mormon hospital in Utah and admit I was agnostic....
No...  but in Austin I am not really concerned....




--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by C.J. ([address removed]) from The Austin Atheists Meetup Group.
To learn more about C.J., visit his/her member profile: http://atheists.meetup.com/8/members/8157280/
To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here: http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/
Meetup Support: [address removed]
632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA




--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Cameron  ([address removed]) from The Austin Atheists Meetup Group.
To learn more about Cameron , visit his/her member profile: http://atheists.meetup.com/8/members/6129160/
To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here: http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/
Meetup Support: [address removed]
632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA




--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Cameron  ([address removed]) from The Austin Atheists Meetup Group.
To learn more about Cameron , visit his/her member profile: http://atheists.meetup.com/8/members/6129160/
To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here: http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/
Meetup Support: [address removed]
632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA






--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Marissa ([address removed]) from The Austin Atheists Meetup Group.
To learn more about Marissa, visit his/her member profile

To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here

Meetup Support: [address removed]
632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA




--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Cameron ([address removed]) from The Austin Atheists Meetup Group.
To learn more about Cameron , visit his/her member profile

To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here

Meetup Support: [address removed]
632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA





--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Marissa ([address removed]) from The Austin Atheists Meetup Group.
To learn more about Marissa, visit his/her member profile
To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here

Meetup Support: [address removed]
632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA
=



--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Cameron ([address removed]) from The Austin Atheists Meetup Group.
To learn more about Cameron , visit his/her member profile
To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here

Meetup Support: [address removed]
632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy