The Atlanta Scala Meetup Group Message Board › The Weather Channel is hiring full time Scala opportunity
|A former member||
Please email me your resume at MNgo@weather.com
A. OVERALL RESPONSIBILITIES
We are seeking a passionate programmer who is excited about the opportunity to use Scala and functional programming techniques in professional software development environment. Responsibilities include design, implementation, testing, and deployment of sophisticated software systems using Scala (and Java). You will be part of a motivated team of developers that will encourage you to share and advance your programming skills and passion.
B. SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Participate in the design and implementation of sophisticated software systems, at the direction of Supervisor, Shared Services.
2. Participate in software design and code reviews. Reviews include other Software Engineers and are approved by Supervisor, Shared Services. Reviews are held to ensure a high level of software quality and to share knowledge with team members.
3. Participate in, and adhere to, professional software engineering practices using such tools and methodologies as Agile Software Development, Test Driven Design, Continuous Integration, Source Code Management (svn), Jira, and Crucible.
4. Report status to the Supervisor, Shared Services. This includes alerting the Supervisor when project schedules might be impacted.
5. Address production issues in a timely manner. This includes root cause analysis and working with the Supervisor, Shared Services to resolve the problem.
6. Maintain a high level of proficiency with Computer Science/Software Engineering knowledge and contribute to the technical skills growth of other team members.
7. Work well independently and as part of a team.
A. Passion for Computer Science and Programming
B. Knowledge of Computer Science Theory
C. Knowledge of functional programing languages and techniques
D. Knowledge of object-oriented programming languages and technique
E. Solid understanding of concurrency and concurrent programming techniques
2SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in Computer Science, or comparable work experience
2. Proficiency with Functional Programming using Scala, ML, Lisp, Ocaml, or similar language
3. Proficiency in Object Oriented development using Java, C++, C#, Ruby, or similar language
4. Proficiency with Unit Testing
5. Proficiency with Version Control
6. Able to convey information concisely and clearly
7. Able to work closely and effectively with peer developers and work on several active projects simultaneously
1 Experience with Test-Driven Development, Continuous Integration and other Agile practices
2 Unix Shell script programming experience
3 Proficiency with IntelliJ IDE
4 Proficiency with Jira
5 Proficiency with Subversion
1. Must be a helper, problem solver and a quick learner.
2. Realizes the importance of responding to production issues
3. Highly motivated and results oriented.